[TR] Mt. Hood- Sandy Glacier Headwall 3/12/2004

skyclimb

Climb: Mt. Hood-Sandy Glacier Headwall

Date of Climb: 3/12/2004

Trip Report:

Pain, Suffering, Haggard, with one hell of a smile!

I decided to skip my last day of classes to climb with my buddy Mike on a classic in perfect conditions. Me met at t-line, and were moving by 11:30 p.m. wednesday night. We arrived at the illumination saddle in two hours, right on schedule. The traverse wasn't bad, with no crevasses showing. We then arrived at yocum, and found the traverse with minimal problems. This was lucky considering it was our first time on the route in the dark. We arrived at the base of the Headwall at 5:15, where we brewed-up, and I had some killer spegeeti. Mike continued to puke his brains out for the second time that morning.

We began soloing, and covered the first 1200 feet of the headwall in 1 hour. The snow was perfect neve. Thats when things got interesting.

Icefall started rocketing down everywhere. Pebbles to 25" t.v. sized blocks of blue ice screaming by whistling this sinister death march. We were taking a serious beating, and realized that if one fo the big ones hit us, its over.

We arrived at the hour glass, to find runneled water ice, not neve. Mike soloed it with style, and then set up a belay. Thats when the big icefall occured. A big chunk hit mike in the head, giving him a serious concussion. I took a shot to the hand, crushing it on the tool in high dagger position. We simul-climbed the route to the top as fast as possible on perfect steep neve. We topped out just as the sun hit the wall. The decent took us 5 hours making the round trip time 17 hours.

We went to Zig-Zag pizza for some food, when the funniest thing of the trip happened. We walk in looking like beat shit, and sit down. Everyone is looking our way wondering why bums are allowed in the joint. When the waitress asked Mike what he wanted to eat he ordered a 4 person pizza, a hot tea, iced tea, water and lemonade, for himself. She looked at us both not sure if he was joking, was homeless and wanted a shit ton of free food, or was trippin.

Classic Route, Cheers Mike!

Edited cause if forgot about computers and shit wave.gif

Edited by skyclimb

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you walk in the door and immediately start typing? It's only 3:00pm.

PS I hope there is some mention of skiing when/if you finish your report. hmm or perhaps you stopped short of describing the descent to avoid the disgrace of being called out on a slogdown.

Edit: SLOGDOWN aaaahahaha

Just kidding.

Did your friend seriously go unconscious from icefall? Ouch.

Edited by iain

was it "Mt hood pizza" on the north side of 26 near a grocery store? or was it Pizza from the ZigZag Inn? Cause I'm pretty sure that Mt. Hood Pizza's main customer base is crazy hippies and stoner boarder's who'd make you guys look downright proper and civilized.