Darrington conditions?

shapp

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My buddy drove up the road and cut some bushes off the road a few weeks ago. It oughtta be OK. The trail will be muddy at the start, and there will likely be snow piled up against the base of some or most of the climbs at Three O'Clock Rock. The radar makes it look as if it hasn't rained much or any there today, so it may not be terrible, but I'd plan on some drippy rock. The crag faces NE, so don't expect "blazing" sun. If this isn't enough to dissuade you, you'll probably find something OK to climb.

Yes, the cliff does get sun 'till mid-afternon -- even the North Butress. However, "blazing" does not describe the suntanning opportunities at Three O'Clock Rock. The sun is relatively directly shining on the rock in the morning, but tangential and then gone as the day wears on. "Blazing" DOES frequently describe the sun on Green Giant Buttress (Dreamer), however.

[ETA: In over 25 days of climbing at Three O'Clock Rock, I have yet to get a sunburn there.]

If you are looking for "blazing sun," Three O'Clock Rock is NOT where I would go.

Edited by mattp

Just got back from Darrington, had a D3 approach (for those who have read the new Rattle and Slime guide) and didn't even get off the road. I got stuck in snow about half way in my 2 wheel toyota pickup, but there were tracks a head. A spiffy SUV could go farther. Took me about 20 minutes to dig out, but the sun was out and the dog likes to role in the snow. It was impresive to see the first big blow out up the road! other than the blowouts are easily driveable in a two wheel rig, but low clearance cars may bump a few rocks. Saw a few folks up there driving around that were missing a few teeth, also found a nice dump pile at the end of the spur road that goes along the small pond. If I ever catch one of those toothless bastards dumping up there, he will meet his maker! With a few more days like today the road should be snow free. I guess I should have brought my skis

Shap

With high-clearance 4x4 trucks, we were able to drive no more than a quarter mile beyond where you did. I was a little discouraged when we got stuck - miles from the crags. However, we dug out, turned around, and started walking.

With all the snow on the road, we ended up going to the closest thing: Three O'Clock Rock. The sun was blazing and it turned out pretty well! Sorry to have missed you - had we been around when you got stuck, we'd have helped you out and invited you and your dog to jump in one of our trucks for that quarter mile extra ride.

321642-Mark.jpg

321642-Mark.jpg.e3677cdb090215adf42047235e291fa2.jpg