Lynn Hill at UW

joekania

Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2002

Lynn Hill reads from and signs "Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World." Tickets available beginning May 1., 7:00 pm, 120 Kane Hall, Tickets required,; available (free) at University Book Store, Sponsored by University Book Store and KUOW, 206-634-3400

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it when Twight came to talk at that church in Portland and was swearing up a storm from the altar! [laf] Then he finally askes, does anyone mind if I swear? Some lady raises her hand and Twight responds "TO F'ING BAD!" The lady gets up in a huff, much to the chagrin of her husband who wanted to stay for the rest of it. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

I liked it when Twight came to talk at that church in Portland and was swearing up a storm from the altar!
[laf]
Then he finally askes, does anyone mind if I swear? Some lady raises her hand and Twight responds "TO F'ING BAD!" The lady gets up in a huff, much to the chagrin of her husband who wanted to stay for the rest of it.
[laf]

Not sure what to make of this.....I mean, you really didn't "like" it in the sense that you approved of it or look up to the guy, right? How difficult is it to have a foul mouth in public these days? What's so bold or original about it? Why is anybody impressed by it? How can that Howard Stern feller be so successful? It seems that all you have to do is talk about tits and farts and drop the F-bomb and you're a media sensation. It's one thing when you're hanging with your buddies or chatting on spray-heavy site, but in church? Mark will grow up one day and realize he isn't very clever for pulling that stunt (he's just an ass).

I'm personally not offended by it, except in certain circumstances. Just like with bolts, profanity has its place, and I don't think it's hypocritical to have a stance that is situationally dependent.

I don't really care if somebody wants to have a foul mouth, I just think that in certain public situations one should be respectful of those who don't want to hear it. And if you do choose to crudely spice up a dull slide show/lecture with profanity, don't make the mistake of thinking you're cute or clever. You're just an offensive punk.

[ 05-21-2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: pope ]

real climbers dont need 'tude to be well recognized and accepted by clmbers....they let their climbing speak for itself...twight could easily do this...but yet for some reason doesn't appear to think so.... mabe those eastern euros are putting a cramp in his style.... [Roll Eyes]

Do you guys really think Mark cares of what people think of him? If you don't personally know him then you are speculating on his personality and behavior...Typical. As far a Lynn, just look for her in Fremont and Ballard. I've run into her at various local pitstops. She is such a talker...I thought I was bad!

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

And I have even climbed with him.

That must have been a spectacle....perhaps you can confirm a rumor I heard. Rather than climbing to the music of Skinny Puppy and shoving a snowball down his shorts just for the added intensity, I heard he always climbs with Nat "King" Cole on the Disk-Man and a scented handkerchief folded neatly in his coat pocket.

When I come back to a 3 comment topic and there's about 15 new comments it's got to be good. [Roll Eyes] To be clear, my "I like" was not a certificate of support for swearing, just pointing out typical behavior of the individual. Carry on.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Darn! Pope you're begining to irritate me. Here we haven't had an exchange in sometime and now I am going to agree with you (at least with regard to Twight and the church lady). And I have even climbed with him.

I climbed with an offended church lady one time.

And I swore in front of my Pastor a few years ago:

I was helping him tear down the old parsonage and he cut the beam holding up the wall that held up my ladder. "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" skreetched from my lips on the way down. He thought it was humorous.

Now can I be hard core? Not unless you categorized me as a hard core GUMBY [geek]

[ 05-22-2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Bronco ]

Can't confirm the Nat king Cole thing but but then I didn't hear any Skinny Puppy either. Which by the way you must have brought up to embaress Dru as they are by far the most effete and worthless group ever to come from Canada. After reading a favorable review in the Rocket I made the mistake of buying a record. It is one of the few in my collection that I never made it through. Speaking of old Vancouver bands here is a trivia question for Dru: what does SPK stand for?

I agree on your analysis of Skinny Puppy, but I can't say I know much about Vancouver bands. Twight used to quote those guys in his "just-let-me-kill-myself" articles, and when my buddy purchased a CD, I thought they made the Sex Pistols sound like musical geniuses.

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

isn't that like comparing apples and oranges. Sex pistols=punk, Skinny Puppy= industrial? IMHO

I must admit that I don't know how to distinguish between the subtle variations at the end of the "musical" spectrum, but allow me to try. The Sex Pistols play all of their songs with just three chords; Skinny Puppy members don't know any chords.

Shit y'all Skinny Puppy is INDUSTRIAL MUSIC!!!! You can only enjoy it if you die your blond hair black and listen to Bahaus and hang out at the Luvafair (now sadly renamed the Palladium). Skinny Puppy was the first band ever to use a sample of a chainsaw running in a song!

To clarify. Skinny Puppy = 80s industrial. Nivek Ogre and cEVIN Key. 808s and samplers and shitty synth beats. occasional sampled chainsaws. lyrics of pseudo dancable 80s angst.

Sex pistols = 70s punk. Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten. guitars and drums and 3 chords. lyrics of "God save the Queen".

and bonus. DOA = 70s thru 00s punk. Joey Shithead and a cast of thousands including Randy Rampage, Dimwit, Chuck Biscuits and Harry Homo. Mack jackets, guitars, beer, Joe running for the Green Party, "Disco sucks, disco sucks, disco sucks like shit!"

[big Grin]

I don't think Pope was saying on style of music is better than another. Wasn't he just giving an example of what he considered a bad band. An example that I don't agree with by the way. As for Skinny Puppy, on the "industrial' spectrum (along w/ NIN I might add)are in the "clerical" section far away from the heavy industries.