Pissed off (and pissed on)

bellemontagne

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rob< I totaly agree. We leave with the kids if they get out of controle as well. If they start to cry, we move or go home. Awareness is so important. consideration. [big Grin] Happy climbing. Maybe we can get the kids and dogs together one day. My munchies LOVE dogs.

I agree with Figger Eight... if I OR my dog is being threatened by another dog, I will do what is necessary to protect him and myself. I don't take him climbing or hiking, but he is a huge bundle of people-lovin' fur, and I doubt would ever threaten anyone or another dog. I have worse problems with mean dogs at the off-leash park. People shouldn't take aggressive dogs there, either.

I have a little dog story, I was cooming out after summitting Baker, down the RR grade and there was a doggie. I held out my hand for the obligatory doggie hand sniff when the elderly owners cautioned me that the dog is not that friendly. 1) the dog was not leashed 2) the dog was running well ahead of the owners. 3) I didn't get bitten, but the dog was obviously acting in an aggressive manner.

I ripped into the old couple and told them that it was irresponsible to bring an unfriendly dog, off a leash, onto a public, heavily travelled trail.

In short, that sucks.

sean

Dogs...I gotta crazy ass weimariemer (the ones that guy takes the pictures of dressed up in people clothes) that crazy bitch needs a hundred mile to run and she still wont be tired. Thankfully, she is as timid as they come (she rolls over if a cat looks at her) and she loves the crag. However, because she is such a freak, the only time I let her run is on the trail, once we are within site of climbers, people, other animals, she goes on the leash. As soon as we get to the wall I find a place that is close so she doesn't feel left out, but out of the way so she isn't all over other climbers or their gear. I love my dog and think she has as much right to be there as anyone else. But I wont subject others to her sometimes unruly behavior and don't think others have the right to subject me to their pets disobedience or whimpering. You want to let your dog run, fine, by all means let them run, just remember not everyone likes dogs and even the nicest dog may seem like threat or nuisance to someone. I think the word we are looking for is "Respect".

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

Its all about personal responsibility.

Yeah! What is it with people who...

take up two parking spaces [Mad]

stand across from their shopping cart blocking the whole aisle [Mad]

expect the bus and everyone on it to wait for them because they couldn't get up early enough [Mad]

leave a half-cup in the coffee maker at work [Mad]

walk really slowly in the crosswalk while you wait [Mad]

All of you braindead asswipes that bring your dogs to the crags un-leashed are out of your minds. I cant stand stupid pet owners and you'll know about it after I've had words with ya!

Ropes are good for more than just climbing.

Tanked

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Jules -

Are you and the pup gonna be at Pub Club tomorrow night?

mattp,

It sure is tempting to sit outside and drink beer with ya'all. We might be there ---- I love dog-friendly pubs!

It's interesting to see the heated opinions about this topic. I agree with some, don't agree with others, but I sure get a kick out of reading them all.

quote:

How do you know that was dog pee and not human pee?

Well, I am pretty sure nobody pissed on the rope. Additionally, the rope was perfectly fine and piss free before I left for the columns on Saturday. At the time, there were only five people and one dog there total when we were climbing (including the three of in our group).

Although, the invisible man could have been there climbing and just decided to take a piss on my rope instead of walking over into the bushes...

I absolutely love dogs, and I know that there are many breeds that get along absolutely fine around other people. However, some people SIMPLY do not take responsibility for there animals OR their children. I have seen dogs left tied up without any water while their owners were on a multipitch climb. I have seen dogs left tied up alone near the picnic benches at the park's main entrance. I have seen dogs that were left unleashed only to come upon other dogs and start fighting. Ultimately, it is entirely the owners responsibility. Plus, I Haven't EVEN BEGUN to talk about the irresponsiblity of some parents...

There are people that should not have dogs, and there are people that should not have children. It's simply an issue of responsibility.

I get a little frustrated that doggy owners are seemingly imposing their doggy lifestyle on those of us who do not 'dog.' I respect your desires as dog owners to have a good life for your dog, and with your dog, but please do not assume that those of us who are not into dogs want to share your experience. Particularly not in the woods, and especially not in the backcountry!

I only had to date one dog-owner to realize that is a major lifestyle thing for You Who Dog, and that I am not one of you. [Cool]

Originally posted by rbw1966:

[QB]Don't get me started on off-leash areas. My golden retriever is sporting an artificial ACL because of an aggro doberman.

Rob, that SUCKS! I am sorry that happened. My Newfoundland pup is so submissive, he is almost always picked on by some other dog. Since he has hip dysplasia, I am concerned he'll get hurt, so I'm constantly on alert while we're in the park, and pulling other dogs off of him that have their jaws around his throat. Drives me crazy.

I have two dogs: a golden retriever (age 11.5 that I have had since he was 7 weeks old) and a red healer (age 2 or so that I got at the Humane Society).

The red healer is not terribly submissive but for some reason other dogs smell "prison bitch" on him and spend hours working his ass. By the time I take him home he needs a shower. Bad.

The golden is getting old and grumpy. He plays well with others though.

I have been bitten by a dog just as the owner said he doesn't bite, had a dog dig a hole by my rope bag and cover my just washed rope with dirt, had a dog pull the leader off the rock before the first pro, had dog knock rock from ledge\trail above onto us (black dog named Vader) Owners responce was he is learning .

Have seen one climber with leash and didty bag /set pro leash dog and take care of dog.

Are you coming to the crag to walk the dog or climb? I have dogs but I leave them at home when I go climbing!! Love dogs, had it with lame ass dog owners . When you come to the crag with your dog take care of it or someone is going to take care of you!! BTW I carry a baseball sized rock when coming late back to the car for that dog growling that doesn't bite [Mad]