Climbing/Skiing recommendations next week

PeterF

I'm a gumby from NYC and am heading out to the cascades next wednesday for 4 days. I was wondering what people would recommend based on current conditions/ feasiblity approach (More based on how close you can actually drive to the climb). I am going with two other guys and we are up for nearly anything. We would ideally like something that involves a long moderate snow/ice climb, or a ski traverse. To give you an idea we're thinking Shuksan NF/Baker north ridge/ coleman, or gib ledges depending on conditions. Any other ideas?

Also, if the climb happens to be nearish to a brewery at the bottom...that would be perfect! We've been out to the seattle breweries, but we could stand to hit up some of the local breweries. bigdrink.gifcool.gifbigdrink.gifcool.gif

Since we're only 3 guys, we're also looking for someone else to join us if they want, PM me if interested

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Shuksan you might consider the White Salmon Glacier instead of the North Face if you are looking for a moderate climb and maybe a ski route (it is both). Also, you could do an interesting loop around the Summit Pyramid for extra time up high.

For Baker, you might look at approaching from the Mount Baker Ski Area for a slightly longer trip. It is five or six miles of highcountry traversing and ski runs to get to the mountain that way, and the NE Ridge or whatever it is would be quite scenic.

Niether of these would be 4-day trips (more like 2). The Tahoma Glacier on Mount Rainier might be more of a mini-expedition that could take 4 days.

All of these would obviously be very conditions-dependant. You'll have to wait and see what happens in the next week.

Cascade pass area had good terrain for a ski traverse, see the snoqualmie pass ski guide book, not sure of the exact name, about the forbidden tour. Plent of other skiing/climbing up there.

Plenty around baker to keep you busy.

We were thinking to do 2 2 day trips, so those recommendations could work. Is the tahoma glacier a good winter climb?

I'm curious, given really medium crappy conditions, what are some good ridge climbs that don't have much avy danger? (If conditions are total crap, we'll drive until we get to rock someplace or ski inbounds)

Peter, one of the things you'll find about the cascades in the winter is a lot of the terrain that you may want to get into requires loooooong approaches. Normally, I'd have 5 pages of things to recommend to you, but I'm assuming with only 4 days you don't want to spend one of them skinning 10 miles on a forest road.

With that said, there are still plenty of amazing places you can get to. Your big factor is going to be the weather. That dictates everything here. Early indications are of fairly low freezing levels and snow early next week. Who knows if that'll hold, however. That may mean you'll be better off going somewhere east of the cascades crest. A tour/climb up in the Colchuck lake area would probably be very cool for somebody that hasn't been in the area. It's one of the more popular winter areas around here due to access, but that's for a reason...it's scenic and impressive.

Send me a private message and I can give you some more suggestions based on your skill level and tolerance for suffering smile.gif