The perfect shirt for GregW!

Peter_Puget

Not ALL liberations have come through violent means. Look at the Czech and Slovak Republics for example.

Are you talking in the '90's? Are you fucking kidding? Why was our military over there then? Why was Sarejevo a smoking ruin in the years after the Olympics? Am I way off base here? I could be.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not ALL liberations have come through violent means. Look at the Czech and Slovak Republics for example.

Are you talking in the '90's? Are you fucking kidding? Why was our military over there then? Why was Sarejevo a smoking ruin in the years after the Olympics? Am I way off base here? I could be.

Does ignorant count as off base? Czech and Slovakia are a couple countries away:

The six-week period between November 17 and December 29, 1989, also known as the "Velvet Revolution" brought about the bloodless overthrow of the Czechoslovak communist regime. Almost immediately, rumors (which have never been proved) began to circulate that the impetus for the Velvet Revolution had come from a KGB provocateur sent by Gorbacev, who wanted reform rather than hardline communists in power. The theory goes that the popular demonstrations went farther than Gorbacev and the KGB had intended. In part because of this, the Czechs do not like the term "Velvet Revolution," preferring to call what happened "the November Events" (Listopadove udalosti) or - sometimes - just "November" (Listopad).

full text

In any case, Sarajevo went to hell because a couple groups decided they could use guns to "protect" their right to have more than another group. Jingoism plus guns amounted to a spirited attempt at genocide.

You can add guns to just about any concept--high-minded or crude--and wind up with a mob of cowards that feel like nobody can or should interfere. Weapons don't make people assholes or criminals, but they can block our view, if you like, of our basic responsibilities.

That said, I personally don't favor taking away the privilege of owning even handguns, because they're a good way to learn responsibility. We just ought to keep them out the the hands of folks inclined toward violent behavior.

I don't know that the Czechs and Slovaks have any great love for each other; isn't there some sort of ethnic battle going on?

No.

Czech and Slovak were separate nations before they united as the federated Czech and Slovak Republics, later shortened in name to Czechoslovakia. After the November revolution, they simply formed their separate nations. They're about as hostile toward each other as the US and Canada, though their governments are prolly more similar.

Talk to someone in their thirties from Cz, SR or Hungary and they'll tell you they're just tired of people strutting around with guns on them. A couple decades of totalitarianism enforced with lots of guns must have inspired some creative thinking. rolleyes.gif

Edited by arlen

Case law supports the assertion that the local police ARE NOT responsible for your personal safety or security.

Citations please? Not that I disagree, because I don't, but I'd be interested in reading these cases.

This article contains a fair list of cases where this has been addressed and ruled on.

Thanks for the link Greg. I'll check it out.

What I'm trying to say with my comment re the military is that its awfully easy to sit behind the comfort of your keyboard and spray about being patriotic and shit when your ass isn't at risk. I'm not abdicating my own personal responsbility to protect my family and myself to the government but rather see the government as the first line of defense in enforcing laws--otherwise why even live in the US? If you want to own guns thats wonderful and I see no problem with that from my perspective.

Its just a pet peeve of mine to see someone spewing patriotic metaphors but not having the balls to serve their country. You talk about defending liberty, and I would submit that the ultimate expression of that ideal is to serve your country in the military.

My wife is slovak and I have traveled back and forth between Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republics many times (as recently as Christmas). The only animosity I witness is the jealousy of Slovaks over the advanced nature of the Czech economy. Not many people in either Czech or Slovak Republics own guns at all.

Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia are different stories altogether although when I was there (last year) I didn't witness any violence and they are trying to put all that behind them. It was ethnic violence though and not a fight over human rights or liberties.

Great, another gun debate

Greg, the argument that you shouldn't leave all the guns in the military's hands is ridiculous. No amount of firepower that the populous could amass would have any effect on the might of the military. Your arguments are weak and tired regurgitated NRA-talk.

Your idea of freedom is rather whacked. If you want freedom go somewhere in central africa. Nobody will bother you about your guns and you can get away with pretty much anything you like. The problem is so can everybody else. cantfocus.gif

Greg, the argument that you shouldn't leave all the guns in the military's hands is ridiculous. No amount of firepower that the populous could amass would have any effect on the might of the military.

Right yelrotflmao.gif. Tell that to everybody over in Iraq right now will ya.

Great, another gun debate

Greg, the argument that you shouldn't leave all the guns in the military's hands is ridiculous. No amount of firepower that the populous could amass would have any effect on the might of the military. Your arguments are weak and tired regurgitated NRA-talk.

Your idea of freedom is rather whacked. If you want freedom go somewhere in central africa. Nobody will bother you about your guns and you can get away with pretty much anything you like. The problem is so can everybody else. cantfocus.gif

Great, more uneducated drivel from idiot-boy. In your world it looks like we all should just roll over and take whatever the government doles out. As far as the effectiveness of firepower, consider that approximately 2 million potential crimes are averted by citizens possessing guns for personal protection. I won't bother citing this statistic from John Lott, Jr., noted economist, as you will all decry it as NRA-funded propaganda.

We won't convince each other, so I'll stop responding to you now.

rbw - what you discuss re: the choice to enter military service is a personal choice and decision that I am not willing to get into in this venue.

Greg_W

well I don't have a web site (slacker... I know) so I can't post the pic, but while we're talking about funny t-shirts heres one... picture of Monica Lewinsky with a white goopy moustache and below her picture it says "Not Milk". can email pic to those interested.

You are way off bae Sarajevo is in the Balkans in a different nation. The Czech Republic has Prague, and Slovakia has Bratislava.

Edit: Note to self... read entire post before pointing out the obvious flaw in someone's ignorant post.

Edited by Blake

You are way off bae Sarajevo is in the Balkans in a different nation. The Czech Republic has Prague, and Slovakia has Bratislava.

Edit: Note to self... read entire post before pointing out the obvious flaw in someone's ignorant post.

Yah, what a dork! rolleyes.gif hahaha. Thanks for playing Blake.

Does it make you feel bad that so many people knew what you didn't, and you're the one who brought it up to prove a point?

Does it make you feel bad that so many people knew what you didn't, and you're the one who brought it up to prove a point?

No. I'm okay with the fact that there's lots of shit I don't know/remember. I learned something I didn't know through this thread, so that's a good thing.

Does it make you feel bad that your education didn't teach you reading comprehension and you basically said the same thing someone else said over 24 hours ago?

Toddle off to recess, now, junior. wave.gif

Does it make you feel bad that your education didn't teach you reading comprehension and you basically said the same thing someone else said over 24 hours ago?

Nope, because I learned to read from parents, and I already stated that I replied before finishing the thread. I'll be out enjoying the sun at reccess now! fruit.gif