• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bbm

ski/ride rainier

I'm thinking about climbing Rainier in late april/early may and skiing it. plenty of experience skiing similar stuff, but only have one rainier summit under my belt - emmons. any advice on best route, where to find info on past ski descents, other issues, etc...and anyone interested in the trip?

I've been thinking about an ascent via Gib Ledges or Ingraham Direct and then boarding down the Gib Chute route. If conditions are right that would be a sweet ride down. I have 6 summits of Rainier, but have never snowboarded that high on Rainier before. Been snowboarding for 10 years tho. I heard that Mike Gauthier has snowboarded down the Gib Chute, so I know its doable bigdrink.gif Skyclimb might be interested too....

Edited by Dulton

Been thinking about boarding Lib Ridge, but that would be totally dependent of conditions. Emmons is going to be the back up plan if it is to hard of surfaces on Lib Ridge. Last year would have been great for boarding it when I was up on it, it sucked climbing it though.

I just found some info on the fuhrer finger route and it looks like a good option - significantly less rock/ice fall than gib ledge. realistically i'm leaning towards may. this is my first time checking out this site - how do those interested move fwd? my background: west butt on denali, polish variation on aconcagua and lots of exposed skiing - hood from summit, left of hart on shasta, and lots of backcountry. not much ice climbing experience - but the finger didn't look too steep... may be wrong though.

not much ice climbing experience - but the finger didn't look too steep... may be wrong though.

you're right, you don't need ice climbing skills to get up this route.

Dulton,

hey - so would you be up for a trip in late may. looks like furher finger might be a good option.

i'm at the uw, so if you're in the area we could grab a beer at some pt and discuss potential route/group/background.

let me know

Brad

Late May would be awsome. I've never done Furhuer Finger before, but it doesn't sound too bad. Climbing up Gib Ledges wouldn't be too fun with a board strapped to your back. Its a little exposed and your pretty close to the rock... don't wanna get caught or blown off... shocked.gif

I'm over in Ballard (I go to SPU), so it would be really easy to get together and go over all the good stuff. Next week are finals so that might not work, but I'm free after that.

Pen

The Finger is steepest from 10,000' to 11,500'. If conditions are good it could make for a sweet ski/board descent. There is some rock fall and avy concerns at all times. But an early season climb would be the best. May should be prime time. Let me know if you guys set some firm dates.