ski/ride rainier

bbm

I'm thinking about climbing Rainier in late april/early may and skiing it. plenty of experience skiing similar stuff, but only have one rainier summit under my belt - emmons. any advice on best route, where to find info on past ski descents, other issues, etc...and anyone interested in the trip?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about an ascent via Gib Ledges or Ingraham Direct and then boarding down the Gib Chute route. If conditions are right that would be a sweet ride down. I have 6 summits of Rainier, but have never snowboarded that high on Rainier before. Been snowboarding for 10 years tho. I heard that Mike Gauthier has snowboarded down the Gib Chute, so I know its doable bigdrink.gif Skyclimb might be interested too....

Edited by Dulton

Been thinking about boarding Lib Ridge, but that would be totally dependent of conditions. Emmons is going to be the back up plan if it is to hard of surfaces on Lib Ridge. Last year would have been great for boarding it when I was up on it, it sucked climbing it though.

I just found some info on the fuhrer finger route and it looks like a good option - significantly less rock/ice fall than gib ledge. realistically i'm leaning towards may. this is my first time checking out this site - how do those interested move fwd? my background: west butt on denali, polish variation on aconcagua and lots of exposed skiing - hood from summit, left of hart on shasta, and lots of backcountry. not much ice climbing experience - but the finger didn't look too steep... may be wrong though.

Dulton,

hey - so would you be up for a trip in late may. looks like furher finger might be a good option.

i'm at the uw, so if you're in the area we could grab a beer at some pt and discuss potential route/group/background.

let me know

Brad

Late May would be awsome. I've never done Furhuer Finger before, but it doesn't sound too bad. Climbing up Gib Ledges wouldn't be too fun with a board strapped to your back. Its a little exposed and your pretty close to the rock... don't wanna get caught or blown off... shocked.gif

I'm over in Ballard (I go to SPU), so it would be really easy to get together and go over all the good stuff. Next week are finals so that might not work, but I'm free after that.

Pen

The Finger is steepest from 10,000' to 11,500'. If conditions are good it could make for a sweet ski/board descent. There is some rock fall and avy concerns at all times. But an early season climb would be the best. May should be prime time. Let me know if you guys set some firm dates.