Eugene- Coburg Caves?

KingsMM

I was looking at the rock n' road and saw that there are caves out of Eugene. Has anyone every been there, climbed there? I am looking for beta and directions. This is all I know.

From Eugene go N to Coburg Rd. To the town of coburg. Turn east on Mckenzie View Dr. For 1/2 Mi. Then Hike N of the road for aprox. 1.5mi to west, middel, whale, and east caves. confused.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically there are a small group of climbers that have permission to go to the caves. If you know one of these climbers you can go but if you don't your SOL. That's the beta. Also unless your a pretty hard climber your not going to be able to do much there anyway.

I learned to climb mostly at climbing areas in the Coburg Hills. There are several areas, with anything from really hard to really easy. It is all on private property and most of the owners will not give access to anyone. Sadly I suggest you find somewhere else to climb.

The owner is John Jaqua (spelling may be wrong). He is a lawyer in Eugene and also owns the farm across the road from the Crag next to the River. This may not be the owner now since this beta is about 10 years old. Think twice before trespassing on land owned by a lawyer. However, the routes are good. There are some steep sport lines and some trad. Also there is some raptor nesting up on the Crag. You may be able to blackmail the owner for some access for this reason as the Local land managers may not like the route development near known Osprey nests.

The owner is John Jaqua (spelling may be wrong). He is a lawyer in Eugene and also owns the farm across the road from the Crag next to the River. This may not be the owner now since this beta is about 10 years old. Think twice before trespassing on land owned by a lawyer. However, the routes are good. There are some steep sport lines and some trad. Also there is some raptor nesting up on the Crag. You may be able to blackmail the owner for some access for this reason as the Local land managers may not like the route development near known Osprey nests.

And if there are any raptors nesting near the crag you should stay the hell away. First because they need room to nest, and secondly because they will fuck you up really bad if you get too close.