Fall at Frenchman Coulee--

Bad[lasma

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this from a guy that stopped by--he wasnt a climber but here goes:

An unidentified male rock climber fell from the top of the "sunshine" area of the Frenchman's Coulee climbing area west of George about 2pm Sunday afternoon. This area, popular with climbers from all over the state, was in heavy use over the weekend signaling the beginning of a new climbing season. Several climbers witnessed portions of the accident and related their stories to a Sliderule.Net reporter. Read more....

The climbing area is immediately adjacent to Vantage Rd. off of Silica Rd west of George. This portion of old Highway 10 (prior to the creation of the Wanapum Dam reservoir) skirts the edge of a breathtaking canyon with waterfalls. Climbers from Seattle flock to several popular climbing spots with names like "The Feathers" and "Sunshine Wall". Guidebooks to the area are sold at climbing supply stores like REI (Seattle and Tri-Cities) and Mtn. Sports of Ellensburg. Clubs such as the Seattle Mountaineers and groups from REI meet at this area because there are some relatively easy but challenging pitches (climbs) and camping is permitted (or at least tolerated).

The accident reportedly occured when two climbers reached the top of their climb and were preparing to make a rappel descent and "clean up" their climb (remove climbing gear such as slings and carabiners used on the way up). One witness said that she heard a screem or yell and looked to see a climber falling from the top of the wall. Other witnesses described the fall as "cartwheeling". The fall covered over 100 feet of vertical height plus some distance on the rocky scree below the wall itself.

A helicopter from Yakima was called by the first EMTs on the scene (from Quincy's Grant County District 3) because of the difficult terrain and where the climber landed. While waiting for the arrival of the helicopter, other climbers and subsequently EMTs from Quincy performed approximately one hour of CPR. The helicopter hovered as near to the rock face as was safe and lowered a basket and a paramedic to where the cllimber lay on the scree at the foot of the wall, then landed to keep workers out of its rotor wash.

After the basket was recovered by the helicopter, it landed next to a Fire District 3 ambulance where the climber was pronounced dead. The helicopter departed for a return to Yakima and the Grant County Coroner will take charge of the body and the investigation into the death.

Sheriff and Fire crews on the scene expressed the hope that this is not a sign of more accidents at this popular climbing site. Two years ago an experienced climber died when at least one caribiner failed after he fell from the wall face. Normally these pieces of equipment, arranged in a line following the climber's route up the rock, can hold far more than the impact load of a falling climber but this time, apparently it didn't.

Climbers in the area expressed sadness and shock at the death of someone doing, essentially, what they were also doing. Sliderule.Net will have more details as they become available.

I saw the climber fall from where I was at the Riverview area. My partner and I had just started our lunch break when some commotion attracted our attention. We saw someone fall from near the top of the upper tier of columns at the Sunshine Wall, hit the base, and tumble over the next tier to the talus below. I called 911, my partner (fleblebleb) went to assist the victim, and I ran to meet the incoming medical folks at the main parking lot. Someone from the Grant Co. Sheriff arrived, followed closely by two fire dept. EMTs, whom I walked with back to the Sunshine Wall area. By then, an Army helicopter from Yakima was 12 minutes out.

There were quite a few climbers helping the victim, including a nurse who took charge. I was very impressed by the determination of the ad-hoc rescue team, who kept up CPR for at least 30 minutes, even though the fallen climber was clearly in very bad shape. Cheers to all of you who helped out, and to the EMTs, paramedics, helo crew, and other rescue workers.

When the helicopter arrived, we spread the word that the rotorwash might cause rockfall, so those not directly involved in the rescue moved away from the scene and huddled close to the walls. We secured several ropes and lots of gear lying about so it wouldn't get blown around. During the rescue, two large crowds gathered above the upper and lower tiers, which made me nervous, since the hovering helicopter was not far away from them (visions of Mt. Hood...).

The helicopter did a lot of circling, and dropped a paramedic and litter in a series of many passes and landings. Watching from afar, I couldn't really figure out what the plan was. Eventually, the victim was loaded, the helicopter lifted the litter and then the paramedic on a winch, dropped them off at the ambulance waiting on the road, and headed back home.

I don't know any of the details of the accident itself, but the way the rope was lying below the climb made it look like a rappel gone wrong. I heard a lot of third-hand details, but I'll let the people who told me repeat them here.

The climber was a man in his forties.

ugh. I'm sorry to hear you had to be there. Speaking as someone who works with trauma patients on a regular basis, it can be very disturbing. I am very sorry to hear this news. All I can hope is that it was not one of our own. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

Christ. That's terrible news.

Sorry you had to see that Ralph, but kudos to you and Fleb for doing what you could to help. Sometimes that makes all the difference, but unfortunately there may have been nothing anyone could have done to save this climber after a fall of that magnitude.

Anyone close to the deceased has my sympathies.

My wife and I were climbing in the Millenium Wall area and saw the victim cartwheel to the ground below the 5.6 route on The Hen House. Without going into detail, it was a savage, hideous fall. We arrived at the victim (we got a first name of Robert) after approx. 5 other climbers were on the scene. A climber/medic, myself and my wife, and other climbers performed CPR on the severly traumatized and broken body of a male climber in his mid-30s to 40's for a full fourty minutes, timed by a watch. At no time did we detect a pulse. His injuries were extensive including probably broken femur(s) and knees, broken neck, ribs and untold internal injuries. He had a 5 cm square of exposed skull above the right eye.

Margareta and I had a long discussion this morning about the groups unverbalized decision to continue CPR on a victim that was so far gone. Perhaps every one of the climbers there silently felt as we did that maybe we should have just said a few words and let him go on in peace. But no one wants to be the one say "enough" when maybe, just maybe, there is a 1 in 1000-odd chance of the person coming back.

We heard from the victim's partner that he rapped off the end of his rope. However, I found ONE STRAND of rope running through his ATC. So probably he, or his partner, failed to equalize the ends of the rope, and thus one end of the rope fed through the ATC before he had reached the ledge. This squares with talk we heard, that ..."he was hanging on to one end of the rope screaming, then let go".

I don't mean to point a finger at anyone. Let us all remember that most accidents happen on the rappel and keep ourselves from becoming complacent.

My sincere condolences to the family and friends of Robert.

My condolences go out to the victim's wife/partner, and the rest of their family. Our group from Spokane was close to the victim's final resting place, which was at the base of Millenium Wall. He impacted 30 feet from us. I assisted in moving the body into a position for CPR, and friends of mine performed the CPR. I helped carry the backboard down to the site, and took photos of the tradgedy.

The victim's partner told us that the accident occured during a rappel from the top of sunshine wall in the area between the kingpins and tilted pillars. She indicated that the accident occured because one end of the rope was only part of the way down. She stated that she tried to grab the rope at the anchor as the victim was yelling up at her, but didn't get ahold of it in time. She stated that the victim realized he was at the end of the rope, and was desperately holding on to the end that was in mid air, yelling up at her.

A very sad day.

I'm never going to that place again.

That's not the first time I've heard that today. frown.gif

Rather than cast aspersions on Vantage (or any other area), let us remind ourselves that such accidents can happen anywhere and 100% adherence to safe climbing principles is mandatory at any area.

My condolences to those affected.

Was this on a two-pitch route, and they were both topped out? I've never been to vantage, and I'm just trying to make sense of what happened. Most of the reports are saying he fell 100 feet.

Condolences to all involved.

It is sad to hear about yet another climbing acccident. I hope that all involved, both from the victim's climbing party & family, as well as the folks who witnessed and attempted to help are doing as well as can be expected.

Kudos to those who tried in vain to save the guy.

Because of the description of the route being between King Pins and Tilted Pillars and the fact that the fall was 100 ft, I have a hunch that the route was Choss Master. This route can be done as either a two pitch climb or a one pitch climb, but you need a 60 m rope to top-rope it.

Roger,

Almost all of the climbs are 100 ft. or less in length. Sunshine Wall does have some of the longest climbs, however, and care must be taken in rappelling, especially with shorter ropes- knotting the ends together is definitely called for. It is also a very busy area on weekends and it can be difficult to concentrate and communicate.

The victim did not fall from the Sunshine Wall. He was not climbing Chossmaster.

He fell from a route directly above the 5.6 route on The Hen House. Above The Hen House are some obscure trad routes put up by Bill Robins, et. al,. In any event, they are located approx. 5 to 10 columns to the right (East) of the popular route "Canadian Hand Job". The columns in this area are maybe 50' high.

It is unlikely that he could have fallen off the Red Hot Chili Peppers anchors and bounced far east enough to come down where he did.

Edited by Marc