Bike To Work Day

JERRY_SANCHEZ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 miles round-trip. An extra 4 miles with gear on nice days when I stop in at Skinner's Butte (conveniently located on the bike-bath in the middle of the city) to get some climbs in.

Didn't ride today, but rode yesterday and the day before that.

Ironically, I fail Bike to Work day! [Mad]

14 miles. Every day unless I need my car for work, which is almost never. What a great way to start the day and an even better way to blow off steam after dealing with difficult clients and other folks!!! [Roll Eyes] Honestly, the ride in and home is the high point of almost every day. [big Grin]

8 miles round trip on the burke so yes i am a pussy, but i do it every freaking day of the year.

ingbike.jpg

i helped staff the bike-to-work-day station at blakely and 25th. it was a mob scene from before 6 am to when i left at 8. i had the counter and we'd seen 270 people during that time. i talked to a couple guys who do some serious rides to bellevue and such all year. judging by the number of bikes with fenders i think a lot of these people bike to work on a reasonably regular basis.

bikin to work. i like it.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Heh Stormin Norman, you mean to tell me you were worried about a little precip?? Shame on you.
[big Drink]

I used to have a similar bike commute to Norman's... and yeah... the three block commute in the rain is worse than a 10 mile ride since you are typically "dressed for work"... IE no special rain nor mud-stripe-rejectin wear required.

I am still all about the "Rad"thing but here: Instead of fighting wars with bullets and bombs, the armies of the world should just try phlegm.

The 21st century is upon us and I think we have evolved a little by now. Spitting in public has undergone changes in the social scene in America, too. Spit-toons warehoused in restaurants, bars and the streets of better neighborhoods in 1900s. After World War I, there was Federal and State statutes enacted to curb the habit. It was for health and safety reasons. But then sometime after World War II, municipalities gradually relaxed these laws. Even though the dictionary definition is, "to eject saliva from the mouth in an expression of contempt, aversion or malicious feelings," our daily and cultural lives would once again be infiltrated by the denizens of social disgust.

They drive me to the edge of violence with their frothy secretions. If it were not illegal, I would beat up or shoot these lethal lepers. They have a Draconian mentality and not a care for their fellow human beings. A better idea is to let them be forced to live and drown in their own deadly clammy substances. When I ask the police, health department and student council to help educate and stop these morons who continue to spit, they all said there is nothing they could do.

"I'm sure that if they spit in public in the presence of their own mother or grandmother, they would be slapped silly for being a filthy pig. Maybe we need mothers as police to lift up the quality of life on this campus and stop this rank and rancid behavior? Maybe we need gangs of "guardian angels" to threaten to shake some sense into these people who continue to disrespect others? Peer pressure or fines might solve the problem. Or putting signs up on campus to constantly remind people. Whatever happened to using a handkerchief?"

This page last updated 11/12/99.

By Michael Kushner

Guardsman Staff Writer

Published Nov 8, 1999

Copyright ©1996-1999 City College of San Francisco

1017060-movie-resized220.jpg

Exactly, I dress for work and my fenders aren't the best, so I only stay "dry" if I keep it slow. One of these days I'll get some better fenders-- or maybe even trade in my vintage 1980s rockhopper for one of those flashy titanium monoshock units at Gregg's. But I'd rather buy climbing gear than spend fifteen hundred bucks just to cut my commute down to 2 minutes. [big Grin]

sissy, ninny, Jeez it's taken me a good ten years just to learn how to spit. I encourage my sons to spit (outside). I would rather see that phlem on the gound, evaperating, than clogging there lungs, and making them sicker. For gods sake, it's not like it's poo or something [Roll Eyes] Besides... who carries a hankie any more.

P.S. i have yet to leave the house today. Working at home rules [Wink]

[ 05-17-2002, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: sk ]

I tend to not hang out in my muddy bike clothes so brown stains don't bother me, except when I'm gripped.

I take the greenway across the sellwood bridge. Nicest commute of anyone I know. I've ridden home with a guy who rides out to LO. I assume he rides the shoulder of 43 which to me just seems heinous.