Gym Climbing Ethics

Lambone

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

Retro, I got plenty of respect for the old school. But I think hip belays are best saved for alpine situations when anchors are less than adequate to hold the increased forces of a fall that result from the static nature of belay devices. I'm just sayin that I wouldn't want to catch leader falls in the gym with a hip belay, not that it is impossible.

I took the belay test at VW. This was done with an ATC and NO ANCHOR. When I belayed a climber, I didn't use the ATC, nor was I anchored. So what's wrong with demonstrating 'belay' skills with a hip belay?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New catagories to add to Gym Climbing competitions:

-extra points for making the loudest most desperate scream on each move...

-extra points for the number of times you can chalk up between each move, plus bonus points if you blow the chalk off your finger tips...

-big shoe competiton...who can climb a 5.12 in the biggest shoes...

-most tape on your fingers award...

-longest whipper...who can come closest to hitting the ground by skipping clips...

-belayer competition for who can catch the longest whipper with a hip belay...

-any more????

Lessee - dress code - when in the bouldering area, men must be shirtless, and either:

1) sitting dejectedly in gravel;

2) pantomiming and spraying about the sequence of some V-9 desperate; or

3) spotting by standing way back from the wall with arms crossed.

Women - same rules apply, but must be in sport top - extra style points for low-slung pants showing off your t-backs.

For the rarified atmosphere of the true gym ethical elite - only tape on lead.

And don't worry, Dwayner, Greg Child flunked his belay test at SG, too, and he's probably almost as good of a climber as you.

what happened to "most vendor logos on yakima spacecase"? [Confused]

most foul-mouthed teenage mutant boulderer who kicks ass... but never higher than 15 feet.

most aggressive crashpad mover.

most obvious pretend onsight on a dialed route in front of babes (hmm, let me see if I can figure this one out for you...ah yes, piece of cake). [Roll Eyes]

what about most reduced lung capacity for breathing toxic dust and the constant smell of verbal shit??

or best artifical lighting complexion??

what about the employee who owns the most pro deal, but climbs the least??

or person most likely to use some sort of alpine lie to obtain some hotties ph#??? and what is that lie???

the gym issue is a complex one....an issue left best to the funny as hell micro managing climbers.....people whom need to make sure that that pusher sloper is for serious v11 use only!!!!

eliminates create controversy!!!!

[big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]