idea... all you female lurkers check this out!

icegirl

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know? The Tallest! Leaders of the Urkan Empire! :-P
oohhh okay , ya sure, I knew that rolleyes.gifwink.gif

this is dripping with internet sarcasum in case any one missed it cool.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

You will have to forgive Muffy, she knows only Gir and Zim from the show, and that's enough for her. wink.gif

I don't really care if there is a forum like that or not. I'll go elsewhere for female bonding if I need it. One reason I don't post much anymore is because I don't have anything I want to contribute, and I've finally been reading this board long enough to see the reruns. I'm going to try some new stuff this year (aid, big wall, longer routes in general) so I'll have more questions to ask and info to contribute later.

I also agree with Fern that people can control their attitudes. I posted a serious question a while back and one of the earliest responses immediately degenerated into a foul-mouthed accusation that I was trolling. I was glad for the people who seriously answered my question. (Thanks again.) But I get tired of loser postings, and I'm sure plenty of men feel the same way. If I wanted spray, I'd go there. I cuss and spit and all that stuff... when it's appropriate.

Icegirl, if you're looking to make more connections with women climbers, maybe check out ChicksRock. I've been meaning to go to one of their "pub clubs", but my schedule hasn't matched. It's good of you to ask the entire everyone for feedback on a potential new forum to see how diverse the opinion pool is.

I know that there are women who read lots but post little and it would be great to hear more from them. For example look at those pictures that Mtngrrrl won the photo contest with ... I would love to hear the stories behind those shots and I am sure I am not the only one.

blush.gif That's nice to hear! So since you asked, here goes.

The humor winner was taken in Switzerland. A group of us were TR ice climbing not too far from the road. On the hike out we spotted these amazing icecicles. Fun was had and one good shot was taken. I'm very happy with it since the light was low and the scene was impromptu. Oh, no one died in the making of this photo.

The bouldering shot was taken on the trek into Mera Peak in Nepal. That's Mera in the background, though you can't see the summit from this angle. It sure looks bigger and more imposing from this side compared to the walk-up we actually did. The guy climbing was just getting into rock climbing, and he was glad to climb anything he could get his hands and boots on.

The ski photos that didn't make the contest were all taken on various backcountry ski tours in Europe.

Thanks for asking! wave.gif

I think it is weird that I am one of the biggest sprayers on the site, yet when I ask a serious question I ALWAYS get seriouse helpful answers. if you are curious two posts come to mind clipping 101 and aid climbing 101 in the new climbing forum and newbies respectivly. I also once asked a serious question in spray, becuae I figured it would degenerate and was told that I should have posted it elsewhere because I was getting good answers, I can't remember what that thred was called. I may not be as prolific of a climber as say thelawgoddess, but I am learning and growing, and alot of that has to do with alot of the people arround here who answer my questions and go climbing with me.

YAY cc.com bigdrink.gif

Icegirl, if you're looking to make more connections with women climbers, maybe check out ChicksRock. I've been meaning to go to one of their "pub clubs", but my schedule hasn't matched. It's good of you to ask the entire everyone for feedback on a potential new forum to see how diverse the opinion pool is.

Funny that people assume I am doing this for my own female bonding issues. I have been a part of this site for a reasonable amount of time, and, well, if I wanted to hang out elsewhere, I would. Like Climbingirl33, so far the majority of my climbing partners have been male, and that has worked out fine.

I posted the idea for feedback AFTER getting input from other women on the board... As I am a moderator on the site, I felt it would be nice to pass along such an idea. Lucky for the other gals they didn't post it, it would have been laughed at as a troll (as has been in the past), or they might have been drummed off the site by the negative comments. me on the other hand, yer kind of stuck with wink.gif

WTF is girlpower? Sounds like Luna Bar advertising to me, so go ahead and buy into that shit if you want.

Climbers are climbers, male or female.

Girl's Climbing Forum, "Nurturing our Mind Body and Spirit through empowerment of our inner goddesses"

I found a Luna Bar in my Jacket while skiing on Friday and noticed that the flavor was "Nutz over Chocolate".....

Can't help but wonder if there's a subversive voice at work at Cliff Bar Inc who's mocking the "Women's Empowerment through Marketing" schtick they've got going on there.

I am personally waiting for the next phase of this movement to manifest itself in even more bizarre and incongruous ways.

"Finally - An acetylene torch made for a woman's unique needs."

"When I'm arc welding, nothing nurtures my soul like the Femweld 4000's sensuous curves..."

"They told you you'd have to use plumber's tape made for men forever. Well Athenatape has just proven THEM wrong...."

Add the soft focus shots, a few floral scenes, Natalie Merchant tracks in the background and plenty of shots depicting the soulful, fully-harmonized, and utterly empowered state of bliss that using the AhtenaTape Plumber's Tape for Women © will surely inspire and you're in business.

BTW - I have no problem with the idea in principle but given the enduring popularity of the "New Female Climber" troll and other zany hijinks that.just.never.seem.to.get.old in the sausage zone I think it would be mighty tough to get going....

Jay, I agree with you about most of what you have to say on this subject. That said, it's nice that there's gear for women out there nowadays. I appreciate the improvements in pack and sleeping bag design, and of course the clothes are better now too. The rest of it's a bunch of schlocky marketing hype though. I got sucked in to buying the Acetylene torch for girls, and it didn't do me any better than the unisex one....

Jay, I agree with you about most of what you have to say on this subject. That said, it's nice that there's gear for women out there nowadays. I appreciate the improvements in pack and sleeping bag design, and of course the clothes are better now too. The rest of it's a bunch of schlocky marketing hype though. I got sucked in to buying the Acetylene torch for girls, and it didn't do me any better than the unisex one....
honestly, girls harness or boys I still can't fucking figure out how to pee with out taking my harness off. maybe I am just a retard (totaly possible).

Yeah, that tlg is real bitter about that...phew, she cusses like a sailor just 'cause I'm like 10" taller than her. grin.gif It's not like I ate any vegetables or anything; I just ended up tall.

well, you are kind of tall. evils3d.gif (or maybe i'm just kind of short? yellaf.gif) whatever ... me cussing like a sailor has nothing to do with your height! i cuss when i climb with erock's short punk ass, too. moon.gif

I cus like a sailor when I climb with women too.. keeps my mind focused wink.gif

I cuss like a sailor too, but then I am a sailor. I'm kind of short too. Naw, fuck that. hellno3d.gif I cuss like a the_finger.gifclimber.

honestly, girls harness or boys I still can't fucking figure out how to pee with out taking my harness off. maybe I am just a retard (totaly possible).

yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gif

let me just point out that the thread was started by a woman who climbs and responded to by numerous other women who climb who expressed various points of view ... there isn't right and wrong here, just a bunch of equally valuable opinions. It'd be nice if you weren't dismissive of those opinions that don't jive with your own wave.gif

Being dismissive and nice are two different things. crazy.gif I gave my opinion and that’s that. I can dismiss anyone’s that I want since I’m not the person asking for the advice. If I do ask for opinions then I’ll consider each and every one offered. grin.gif

For now, I’m sticking with my original stand.. and that is, that an all girl thing doesn’t make sense. (in my humble opinion) smirk.gif

If you want to ask someone something ASK.. don’t worry about if they are male or female. You may be surprised on the different views you would get.

ooo.gif