Worst Newbie Climbs

Gripped

Catbird, I am surprised if you have spent much time at Vantage and you don't have a keen awareness that it is more prone to rockfall than any other climbing area in Washington. No place else in the State do I avoid setting a belay right below a climb and there is no place else where I spend much time worrying about just sitting on the ground near where others are climbing. No place.

Call me superstitious, I guess, but the number of rockfall accidents there almost certainly exceeds all other rock climbing area in the state combined. I think you would be doing folks a disservice if you in any way suggest that "it is no big deal."

It is manageable, but it is a serious issue that requires careful management.

I never said that rockfall wasn't a serious issue. What I meant was that it is manageable.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, sorry about that dood, shoulda protected that a bit better. nice cartwheels though. gotta get that pic of your carnage scanned. hahaha.gif ahhh, the days when I used to take YOU up climbs Geek_em8.gifyellaf.gif. to keep this on track i nominate Mt. Constance with a hangover as the worst noobie climb as i couldnt even make it to the lake.

bigdrink.gif

Direct Exum on the Grand- long story short, we had a late start, got caught in weather, didn't know how to get off the route...that was in my first year of climbing.

That sounds ...hmmm...very familiar! It was my fourth year climbing, however...first ever "alpine climb"..