[TR] Eldorado Peak- Eldorado Glacier / East Ridge 3/2/2004

JoshK

Climb: Eldorado Peak-Eldorado Glacier / East Ridge

Date of Climb: 3/2/2004

Trip Report:

Ski Toured Eldo's East Ridge with Sky and his friend Ben yesterday. Gorgeous day, perfect climbing conditions and perfect snow for skiing down. The climbing up was super fast thanks to it being hard where we needed to boot up and perfect for skinning where we skinned up. My only regret was not recovering my legs enough since last trip; It made skiing down the 5k+ of perfect backcountry hard for a hack like me! smile.gif Watching Sky and Ben tear it up was awesome.

Can't ask for much more. I'll post some pics when I get home from school and resize them all.

Gear Notes:

Skis, skins, normal BC ski shit, some warm clothing.

Brought poons and axes, didn't need them once.

Approach Notes:

It was sheer hell.

Edited by JoshK

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to within 50 or 100 vertical feet of the summit. Turned around, nasty survival skiing on the Roman Headwall (ice and deeep slush), but excellent pow from the saddle to the car. Maybe 8 inches deep. I'll have a TR up soon. fruit.gif

I want to see your pics!

I got to within 50 or 100 vertical feet of the summit. Turned around, nasty survival skiing on the Roman Headwall (ice and deeep slush), but excellent pow from the saddle to the car. Maybe 8 inches deep. I'll have a TR up soon. fruit.gif

I want to see your pics!

Sweet! So does that mean you guys got up the headwall, or did you just climb the C/D? We noticed a lenticular over Baker for part of the day and wondered if you were sitting under the one could in the cascades yesterday. smile.gif

We were on the C/D. We got a late start, ~8:30 am; I turned around at 3. Back to the car by 6. The Coleman Headwall looked cool, but we were worried about there being lots of powder (no sun touched it) and potential wind loading. Plus we were tired and I'm a pussy.

I like it when you don't need a headlamp to skin at night. cool.gif