Help me Oregon Eastsiders!!!!

Anna

Since I'm going to be all by my lonesome living in the thriving metropolis of John Day, OR and going through friggin' helirappel boot camp for the next few weeks, I could use any

info on places to boulder, scramble, hike, bike, soak in hot springs, etc. in this

beautiful area. And if I can find some redneck to come out and climb with me, it would be cool

to find out about some climbing routes as well. I know that I will probably just get out

there and figure it out on my own....but.....if anyone has lived around here.....

TG, I was drinking too much Terminal Gravity to accurately take all your insightful suggestions down at Pub Club last week...let's see...something about The Strawberry Mountains?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah, forgot about glacier mtn. bullrun mtn. elv. in the high eights, nice climb... well there agian I should say hike... mmmmm and a little close to john day, or i should say cannyon city, is canyon mtn., but as far as good climbing is conserned, since you've gotten usta smith, your fucked... if you like to fish, go to Ukiha and check out Camas creek, or you should say crick in those parts, cool area stop and get a brew at the tavern... say hi to jack for me... a yocal local

[ 05-15-2002, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Country Jake ]

North of the town of Mitchell there's a hamlet called Twickenham on the John Day river. Some interesting rock and cliffs along the river. Most of its pretty junky, but there's some places to set up a toprope along the canyon cliffs. A mix of volcanic and sedimentary stuff. I just played around on some rock along the river maybe 5-10 miles downriver of the bridge crossing: put on an old pair of climbing shoes, go swimming, then boulder up as high as you want onto the cliffs along the river and jump off into the deep pools. Much fun. There's some neat narrow slot canyons cut into sedimentary rock in places. Lots of cool fossil beds in the area.

[ 05-16-2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

I second Strawberry Mountain. The mountain is quite picturesque and is right by John Day. Only the distant views are lacking but when you're 9,000 feet up, who cares.

When I did the climb I did a clockwise loop starting at Strawberry Campground (el. 5,800'), getting to moderately pretty Strawberry Lake in about a mile of pleasant semi-open forest, then going past Strawberry Falls, then up to the mountain itself. The terrain is very nice below the summit itself, though a recent burn has blackened some trees.

I then went down via the Onion Creek Trail. Here there was even more charring and it was hella hot, but that was August. Onion Creek Trail provides additional views of the mountain from open meadows which seem more wilderness-like than that of the main trail. The trail comes out on the same road that leads to the campground. From there, it is about a mile and 800 feet of gain to get back to the campground (car). 5 hours round trip (maybe 9 miles). A good day trip for one coming out of John Day. There could be a little snow at the summit but it's not really steep so no technical gear needed.

quote:

North of the town of Mitchell there's a hamlet called Twickenham on the John Day river. Some interesting rock and cliffs along the river. Most of its pretty junky, but there's some places to set up a toprope along the canyon cliffs. A mix of volcanic and sedimentary stuff. I just played around on some rock along the river maybe 5-10 miles downriver of the bridge crossing: put on an old pair of climbing shoes, go swimming, then boulder up as high as you want onto the cliffs along the river and jump off into the deep pools. Much fun. There's some neat narrow slot canyons cut into sedimentary rock in places. Lots of cool fossil beds in the area.

If you are talkin' about the canyons east of mitchel... 5-10miles down river from bridge... than it is on Rattlesnake creek... they don't call it that for no reason... I was there in early june last year and had encounters with three big toothed snakes... My bad I just realized where you where talkin' about, rattlesnake creek is on the hyw. to john day, not mitchel, or is mitchil on that hyw. too; it early still... any ways there are a lot of snakes in that area, specialy now that it is comin' on summer.... comin' out the hole better to bitecha...

Another CC.comer was asking about Eastern Oregon a couple of weeks ago. See... http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002188

There's also the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument west of John Day. Interesting area, though I've only seen it from the road. The John Day River along Hwy-19 around the towns of Kimberly and Spray (perfect town for this website?) is also quite a pleasing eyeful.

Thanks for the info again...taking it all down. This place is so friggin beautiful! I'm in John Day for the duration of the season. Actually I am really only stationed there for the summer and if the helirappel program is anything like the Hotshot program, we will be flying all over hell fighting fires all summer long (dependent on what Mother Nature has in store for us!)