• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Gripped

Old Gortex

My Gortex jacket bites. It doesn't really breathe, and it isn't waterproof. madgo_ron.gif It used to do both... I guess it's just old and worn out.

What would you all suggest? What's the easiest way to make it waterproof? I'm not as worried about breathability... it's so thick, I almost never wear it when I'm moving anyways.

Should I just burn it and get a soft shell?

if you want a waterproof jacket why would you get a soft shell? Get a coated nylon rain slicker if all you are going to do is sit around in it. Or get an umbrella.

1)restore DWR - wash a lotm, dry it hot, iron and ReviveX

2)seam seal any holes or places where seamtape has come adrift

1) should help water repellency. 2) should cover any leakage or waterproofness issues.

Beyond that yer fucked. BUT, a non waterproof Gore shewll can be a useful piece. I have an old Arcteryx tester jacet I picked up for $20 when I worked there. It has no DWR anymore and even Revivex restores it for like 5 min. It had a hole I patched with seamsealer. Its a total beater shell and I use it for iceclimbing and wet alpine chimneys in the rain secure in the knowledge I'd probably get damp anyways no matter what I wear and this way I don't trash a nice new jacket doing it.