Mushrooms for Cancer

Dru

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, your article reminded me of medical research surrounding DMT.

The book closes with an excerpt from a volunteer's high dose session in which "they" emerged from a raging psychedelic waterfall, asking him in a sing-song manner, "Now do you see? Now do you see?" This question, more than any, symbolized for me the most personally compelling factor motivating my performing the DMT research.

--excerpt from the summary of the epilogue in Dr. Rick Strassman's book

See also Terence McKenna Land

Interesting ideas... wave.gif

Let the dying trip! mushsmile.gif

mushrooms for cancer patients study

Now CBS can post about how these poor dying people should just say NO instead of destroying their brains.

You don't know me very well, do you? A dying person deserves comfort in their last days. Why should relief be denied them?

if the dying can trip out and see colours legally why not the rest of us mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

The physician in charge of this investigative study is Dr. Charles Grob. A Google search of his name "Charles Grob" will turn up a number of hits regarding his research into the psychiatric uses of hallucinogens especially MDMA (Ecstasy).

I'd guess that orthodox religions would not welcome this venture into their realm, the transition from living to dying. Personally, I don't see it as replacement of religion by chemicals rather it's the enhancement of the experience. I'd also imagine that governments wouldn't want widescale use of hallucinogens because the people might question the established structure of their society freed from the constraints of convention. As one person said, "They don't call it acid for nothing". Wasn't it Nixon that once called Dr. Timothy Leary the most dangerous man alive?

wha? I thought calling them psychedelics was passe.

"God (theos) within"

The Greek word, ehtheos..."to describe the condition that follows when one is inspired and possessed by the god that has entered one's body."

... Pursuant to R. Gordon Wasson's wish for a vocabulary to describe divine inebriants, Carl A. P. Ruck, Danny Staples, Jeremy Bigwood and I, in collaboration with Wasson, proposed the neologism entheogen[ic] in 1979, as a term "appropriate for describing states of shamanic and ecstatic possession induced by ingestion of mind-altering drugs." Noting that shamanic inebriants did not provoke hallucinations or other psychiatric pathologies, we deemed hallucinogen[ic], psychotomimetic and its congeners to be pejorative, prejudcing "transcendent and beatific states of communion with deity" characteristic of traditional use of visionary drugs. We noted that, besides being pejorative outside of the counterculture, psychedelic was "so invested with connotations of the pop-culture of the 1960s that it is incongruous to speak of a shaman's taking a 'psychedelic' drug." Entheogen[ic] (literally 'becoming divine within') was derived from an obsolete Greek word describing religious communion with visionary drugs, prophetic seizures and erotic passion, and is cognate with the common word enthusiasm. Since the neologism is apposite to traditional contexts of use of shamanic inebriants, it has met with an enthusiastic reception by ethnographers and historians, and has appeared in print in all of the major European languages, plus Catalan. Entheogen[ic] has now become the primary term for shamanic inebriants in the Spanish-speaking world, and bids fair to become the predominant term for these drugs in the ethnographic and ethnopharmacognostical literature worldwide. (pages 66-67)

• 2 years later...