Denali West Buttress Sleeping Bag

Clivus

I have a -10F Western Mountaineering Microfiber bag. Anyone have experience with similar on Denali? Is it worth it to shell out for Dryloft and -20F or -40F? The Western Mountaineering -20F Dryloft bag is the same loft as the bag I have - the shell material is the only difference.

Edited by Clivus

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to depend on when you're planning on being there. I used a -20 bag with a VBL in late May - early June and was very comfortable. I probably would have been fine with a -10 and a VBL that year and that time of year. If you're going earlier in May I'd think you'd be better off springing for the warmer bag.

Dont fuck around on Denali. Take the right equipment. If you are sitting at 17k camp and you find yourself spooning with your stinky hairy nasty climbing partner then you will wish you had shelled out for the warmer bag. I have not been on Denali, but I can tell you that I was damn glad I had bought a new bag when I was on Foraker. Put it on the credit card.

I used a -20/30 down bag last year, spent two nights at 17k in late May, I needed to keep my primaloft pants and FF frontpoint jacket on in my bag but with that combo I slept fine...I wouldn't have used a bag that was any lighter.

In my opinion dryloft is unnecessary in such a cold/dry environment, if anything the laminate shell fabric will help to trap moisture that is trying to escape from your bag while you're sleeping. Frost build-up on a bag can easily be shaken out (or heated off on sunny days).

I agree with Alasdair. One of the most important factors in acclimatization is a good nights rest. Don't skimp on the bag. I recall saying a number of times on Denali that i was damn glad I shelled out the ducats for a good bag. I used the Western Mountaineering bag that is rated their coldest with the dryloft shell. YOu'll be spending alot of time in the bag and the dryloft is nice for spills.

Yeah, i'd invest in something abit more beefy than a -10 bag. I took a -20 and would probably buy an even warmer bag if I went back. Even w/ a newish bag I was sleeping in 2 poly pro shirts, heavy fleece jacket and my down jacket and then 2 heavy socks, 2 pairs of poly pro/ fleece pants in 14 and 17 camps. I agree with RBW in that you spend a shit load of time in your bag... being largely inactive for 15-18 hours a day sometimes... plenty of time to really cool your core. Don't forget to get a wide cut, too for all that crap you'll be sleeping with. Don't forget a walkman radio to pass the boredom while in your bag...NPR comes in great up there. thumbs_up.gif

I had a down Marmot -40 bag in June with a Dryloft shell. I was overkill except at 17K. I slept in my midweight poly pro everynight. I was usually a little on the warm side every night but this was early to mid June.

Just my opinion (which means nothing because you gotta live with what you buy) but I would not go with any more than -20 bag and it would be the MicroFiber shell. With Dryloft trapping more moisture in your down than the MF shell, your temperture rating on you bag is reduced after time (unless you can dry the bag frequently in the sun).

What's warmer and lighter:

a -40 Dryloft bag on day 3, 5 or 7

or

a -20 MF bag on day 3, 5 or 7.

I have not looked at the spec's on the 2 bags you are talking about but I would look at fill weight.

I am amazed at the ratings on some bags in comparison to fill weights. Definitely no standard.

How can one bag with 11oz of down (800) have 20 degree rating and then you see one with 13oz and 15oz and up?

Anyway, I wish my FF SnowBunting had the MF shell instead of the Dryloft shell it has. All the trips I have taken it on, I have yet to "use" the Dryloft but I bet I have carried a little excess water weight because of it.

Just a little nonsense late night dribble.......

Jedi

The best advice that i got about Denali was "if you sleep warm at night you can handle any amount of cold, shit weather during the day. Hard to stay movtivated when you know that you are gonna freeze your butt off at night. Sure was true since i spent 7 days at 17K back in 98. I had a -40 Marmot Cym and would bring the same bag again.

Ditto. I was up at 17k for 4 days in '98 also. I think it was June 1-4. Even w/ cloudy weather I could feel it at -25° in my Feathered Friends -25° bag w/ 2 oz of overfill. Slept in my down pants, goretex, & fleece. I usually stay pretty warm, but after a few days of hanging around w/ no activity it started getting pretty chilly at night.

Feathered friends used to rent -40 bags for like $50. Is this still going on? It's a pretty good deal unless you plan on doing more Ak trips, winter in New England, or Himalayan trips.

Edited by jaee