which hardshell snowboard boot?

chumpman

so i have decided to buy a splitboard and hardshell plastic snowboard boots with the plate bindings. what i'm looking for is advice on which boot to buy. who uses what? and also, which stores would carry them so i can try before i buy? it doesnt seem that there is much of a selection out there...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you are finding out the snowboard hard boot selection and binding selection are becoming very slim in the U.S. Bomber gear makes the best plate binding. I have ridden plates for a very very long time and just got a new pair of raichle's. Bomber gear is one of the only places left in the U.S. to find plate and racing stuff (no I don't work for them), but for using with the split board I would pick your favorite and most comfortable AT boot, but they will be more expensive than the snowboard hard boots on the market.

so i have decided to buy a splitboard and hardshell plastic snowboard boots with the plate bindings. what i'm looking for is advice on which boot to buy. who uses what? and also, which stores would carry them so i can try before i buy? it doesnt seem that there is much of a selection out there...

Why hard boots on the split setup? (just curious)

I ride a Burton split with plates. I use both the Dynafit MLT and TLT 4. The MLT climbs better, but has no locked in forward lean. The TLT is a better boarding boot, but less of a climber.

I have also tried various moutaieering plastics and Lowa Strukturas.

I've been thinking the same thing, so I went down to the local used gear shop (Re-Sport, Bellingham) and found these (see attached photo). I went down there with the intention of finding some AT boots, but I found these instead. They are Nordica "SBH" snowboard boots. They supposedly can be switched between rigid and semi-rigid, but they are stuck in semi-rigid (which is what I wanted anyway, so...) I'm not sure that they are all that different from AT boots to be honest. I haven't gotten a chance to use them yet, and the Voile mountain plates are still on the way. What prompted me to look toward plastic boots is that 1) they are crampon compatible, 2) they should give a more positive edge response firm steeps, 3) they are better than soft boots for kicking steps, 4) I expect an improvement in control while in ski mode, and 5) plate bindings are faster to use and can be rigged for quick-release.

Oh and the clincher: the boots were $25.

I'll say more when I finally get out on 'em.

319126-hardboots.jpg.6ef2b71c63cd4a379cd2b71e5a638bb7.jpg