• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

quote:

Originally posted by Bug:

Monkeywrench.

The above comment is why environmentalists fail to sway public opinion. Indeed, it is why many of you are viewed as kooks. As I stated above, I think this expansion idea is an outrage. But I think anyone who would suggest resorting to "monkeywrenching" (call it what it is... terrorism) needs to get a grip. I think "Winter's" suggestion of using the legal system is a bit more useful.

If some of us hadn't been willing to put our asses on the line (OUR asses, nobody else's) and risk jail time and worse in the late '80s and early '90s, then there wouldn't be a single goddamned old growth tree left in the Mt. Hood NF.

Think I am exaggerating? The general public has absolutely no idea how much monkeywrenching was done in the Hood NF, and how that civil disobedience slowed the massacre of OUR forests long enough for other, more mainstream groups to shut off the logging company welfare game, or at least dramatically curtail it from where it was under Reagan and Bush the First.

Terrorism? Yeah, putting abrasive powder in the oil reservoir of a skidder is terrorism. Sure. Exactly. Good use of language. If I go out and dismantle my own car, is it terrorism? No? Only if it is owned by someone else?

Is a car thief who takes the stolen vehicle to a chop shop a terrorist? Yeah, right. Are you only a terrorist if you believe in a cause greater than economic return? Was Ghandi a terrorist? MLK?

Please respect the English language, and use our words as their generally-accepted definitions dictate. Those who resort to word games to defend indefensible positions merely demonstrate rhetorical desperation.

Peace,

D-d0g

EF! alumus, and damned proud of it [big Grin]

D-Dog,

MLK and Ghandi never set fire to, or destroyed another's property as far as I know. And causing damage to your OWN car isn't a crime last time I checked. Your position is bizzare.

I usually try to attack only ideas and not individuals; but you're a real idiot. I sincerely hope your "proud EF Alumni" comment, and your apparent eco-terrorist insider info, triggers a flag in an FBI computer somewhere.

[ 09-11-2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

I don’t think D was making too much sense, but I think the word terrorism is getting too much use these days.

Terrorism is flying a plane into a building or suicide bombings. Burning down a ski lodge or wrecking equipment is vandalism; vandalism with purpose but not terrorism. Of course the unibomber killed people, so I guess he can be a terrorist.

It seems to me that there are plenty of right wing freaks too. Oklahoma city is a good example of home grown right wing terrorism. People who shoot abortion doctors, and believe in black helicopters tend to be pretty right wing, and they too discredit their cause.

So I guess both the right and the left both have their own groups of freaks.

My humble suggestion would be to send your $275.00 to the groups working on this project with a letter cc'd to Dave Riley that his planned project stinks. The other option would be to ski at Ski Bowl (cool steep terrain) whilst still sending Mr. Riley the above-mentioned letter. I've also been thinking of organizing group "Anti-Meadows" outings to Ski Bowl to flex the consumers' collective muscles so to speak (again with the apppropriate letter to Riley).

As for D-Dog mixin' it up with FW, I'll stay out of it. Aw right ... maybe not. FW - EF! means Earth First!, which doesn't peg him as a "terrorist" or a monkeywrencher but simply an activist. And as for the word "terrorist," one day our group intelligence will prevail, and we'll realize its awfully hard to terrorize an '86 chevy.