Teamsters Play Hardball with Darigold

catbirdseat

Yes,in a riht to work state you dont have to join the union to work in a union shop. If you study these states you will find the wages and benifits are very low.Idaho,texas,nevada just to name a few.I work construction so I cant tell you how factorys work altough Im sure its in there collective barganing agreement.This would help prevent union busting.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gregw you should pack up and move to mexico where the unions have no power and all workers are rewarded based on performance.I worked 13 years non union (merit shops) and if I recieved everything that was ever promised Id be a rich somebitch right now.Yes employers on the whole do reward good hard work.They have to or the employees get pissed and get organized.This is what I did.I joined the union 6 years ago and have never been happier.If you dont want to be union dont join one.But please,dont judge all unions based on your bad experiance.I get sick of people talkin shit and saying "they never did anything for me" well people its not just about you.

Whoopdiefuckingdoo, toptimmy. Good for you. As I stated, everyone has their stories. I do not agree with the concept of a labor union, period. "Good" or "Bad" is immaterial.

rbw1966, have I heard of affirmative action? Yeah, it sucks. I think it's a fucking sham to reward one group (blacks, mostly) over another. Go ahead and flame me, I don't fucking care and you're not going to change my mind. Bang your head against this Wall, you make me laugh as I watch your blood pressure rise.

Greg_W

Greg, you are a hard-headed fellow. I have no illusions about ever being able to change your mind about anything. But what I CAN do is piss you off every now and then, and certainly THAT is worthwhile. evils3d.gif

Hey, I'm Welsh and German, what do you expect? yellaf.gif Good luck pissing me off; I'm on the good ship "Mellow" now, baby!!!

I do not agree with the concept of a labor union, period. "Good" or "Bad" is immaterial.

which probably explains why you regret not having had to work in sweatshops when you you were 10years old, why you absolutely refuse to take vacations (paid or not), do not observe the 40hour week and make sure you do not receive overtime pay when the boss needs you to work more, etc ...

damn unions they really suck, don't they? hahaha.gif

I do not agree with the concept of a labor union, period. "Good" or "Bad" is immaterial.

which probably explains why you regret not having had to work in sweatshops when you you were 10years old, why you absolutely refuse to take vacations (paid or not), do not observe the 40hour week and make sure you do not receive overtime pay when the boss needs you to work more, etc ...

damn unions they really suck, don't they? hahaha.gif

Still babbling incoherently like the day you were born, eh, j_b? We're discussing (or I was) the current need for unions. Go back to your cesspool of liberal pseudo-intellectuality.

NO BP escalations over here Greggie. I agree with quite a few of your views (I am a liberal with libertarian leanings) but I don't share your anger or elitist attitude. I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument concerning employers rewarding hard work. It just isn't reflected in the real world the way it should be.

But then again, if you were an employer (purely hypothetical--you may very be one for all I know) what is your first priority? Maximize your profits or maximize your employees salary? This is where I see some dissonance in your ideology. How do you maximize the profits of YOUR hard work while still rewarding your employees for THEIR hard work? Why should they be entitled to YOUR success? Its YOUR company right? YOU don't owe THEM a thing.

But then again, if you were an employer (purely hypothetical--you may very be one for all I know) what is your first priority? Maximize your profits or maximize your employees salary? This is where I see some dissonance in your ideology. How do you maximize the profits of YOUR hard work while still rewarding your employees for THEIR hard work? Why should they be entitled to YOUR success? Its YOUR company right? YOU don't owe THEM a thing.

I was lucky to work for a man who I would love to emulate as a business man. He was loyal to his employees, almost to a fault, and that's all that he asked of his people: loyalty. He understood that his business could only succeed through the people he hired. He hired good people, rewarded them, and did all he could to make sure they and their families were happy. He led by example. He left us alone and let us do our jobs and gave us what we needed to get the job done. He is committed to building a successful business that will last; to do that he invested in his people.

I do own my own company (I'm the only employee) and I reward myself all the time. Sexual harassment reports are on the rise; I'll have to look into that. evils3d.gif

Edited by Greg_W

Still babbling incoherently like the day you were born, eh, j_b?

odd, i could swear you understand me perfectly well.

We're discussing (or I was) the current need for unions.

dang! i did not think of that. shop owners have changed in the past century to the point where regulations are no longer necessary. they are now so good they will give you your due spontaneously .... as can be readily seen in the benefit packages graciously handed out to workers in the developing world. hahaha.gif

Go back to your cesspool of liberal pseudo-intellectuality.

now, now. this sounds a little aggressive coming from a 'mellow' guy.

Greg, you are a hard-headed fellow. I have no illusions about ever being able to change your mind about anything. But what I CAN do is piss you off every now and then, and certainly THAT is worthwhile. evils3d.gif

Hey, I'm Welsh and German, what do you expect? yellaf.gif Good luck pissing me off; I'm on the good ship "Mellow" now, baby!!!

poppin' prozac now??!?! wink.gif

Yeah... thumbs_up.gif Despite my prozac buzz, it's still obvious to me that sportclimbing is neither. the_finger.gif

Yeah... thumbs_up.gif Despite my prozac buzz, it's still obvious to me that sportclimbing is neither. the_finger.gif

anytime you wanna go either neitherclimbing or climbing, you just let me know...YOU can ropegun for me! yellaf.gifyellaf.gif but you'll have to replace your P-pillz w/ some speed or sumpin...

anytime you wanna go either neitherclimbing or climbing, you just let me know...YOU can ropegun for me! yellaf.gifyellaf.gif but you'll have to replace your P-pillz w/ some speed or sumpin...

Cool!!! I'll short-rope your ass up some wicked scary 4th class sandy ledges!!!!!!

...If you dont want to be union dont join one...

Sure, sounds good in theory. How about when you decide not to join a Union shop specifically because you do not want to put up with the BS associated with Unions, you show up to a job (comercial construction) and the Union guys on the job spend their time sabatoging and destroying your work, slashing your tires, picking fights with your fellow employees and causing general mayhem. Seems to me like just because you choose not to join a union doesen't mean you don't have to deal directly with the Union mentality and problems.

Mind if I ask what union you work for?

Cool!!! I'll short-rope your ass up some wicked scary 4th class sandy ledges!!!!!!

Awesome!! I promise to give you a belay worthy of holding the full whopping weight of a falling rhino!

Hey...you ever get mid week time off????? Or are you straight 40 a week?? Next highpressure i'm up at index regardless of when...

Awesome!! I promise to give you a belay worthy of holding the full whopping weight of a falling rhino!

Hey...you ever get mid week time off????? Or are you straight 40 a week?? Next highpressure i'm up at index regardless of when...

I could skate an hour or so early, if necessary...keep in touch.

Sure, sounds good in theory. How about when you decide not to join a Union shop specifically because you do not want to put up with the BS associated with Unions, you show up to a job (comercial construction) and the Union guys on the job spend their time sabatoging and destroying your work, slashing your tires, picking fights with your fellow employees and causing general mayhem. Seems to me like just because you choose not to join a union doesen't mean you don't have to deal directly with the Union mentality and problems.

Unions only succeed if everyone is a member. If one guy decides he doesn't want to pay dues, but he still wants to reap the benefits won by the Union, how do you think that makes the dues paying guys feel? All warm and cuddly?

Unions only succeed if everyone is a member. If one guy decides he doesn't want to pay dues, but he still wants to reap the benefits won by the Union, how do you think that makes the dues paying guys feel? All warm and cuddly?

This sounds like an vague justification for the violence that DOES occur between union and non-union tradesmen. Ask yourself why union goons show up at a jobsite where the framing contract was let to a non-union contractor and intimidate all the framers, invade the personal lives of the field supervision of said contractor and generally cause mayhem. Simply because the contract went to a non-union contractor instead of a union one. Why? Sounds fucked up. But it happens all the time.

here it is in a nutshell.

-gregw (inovative, self-motivated, and determined)opens a business

-gregw advertises fair/competative wages/benefits.

-prospects see add in paper, understands gregw offer wages/benefits (compares to gregw's competition), responds, interviews, and is hired.

-business is good for gregw, employees, and community.

-employee(s) (enter toptimmy and gang) while on vacation sees super-rich guy pull up to indian creek in an Hummer H2 and pulls out 108 Camolots (12 per size).

-employee(s) covets super-rich guy, gives into impulse, dumps the Xterra and 109 Camolots onto credit cards.

-employee(s) is now well beyond his means, life becomes very stressfull. And then becomes raging mad when, at the end of the year, he only receives the national average 3.0% wage increase.

-Not understanding their own predicament, employee(s) pick up the phone...

-enter 'www.laborparty.org'

-'www.laborparty.org' gives severe grief and demands rediculous wages/benefits by means of organized crime upon gregw and all other business owners.

-gregw (along w/ Boeing, IBM, and countless others)says "WTF?" (has no idea that employee(s) is disgruntled do to their own demise).

-gregw takes advantage of capitalism/free trade, moves business offshore.

-now disgruntled unemployee(s) sits midday at local public library adamantly defending labor unions on electronic message boards. oh yeah, and sprays the typical victicrat banter, "F@#k Bush its all his fault, blah blah blah..."

-gregw continues to be innovative, self-motivated, wealthy, and in general, happy, all because he acknowledges and overcomes all his own faults in life.

-community falls apart, unemployeed union member falls into the victicratic downward spiral,loses all dignity and self-worth and sucks from the teet of mother welfare, demanding greater taxes on the prosperous, so that welfare won't end up like Darigold product.

-last but not least, fat 'www.laborparty.org' bosses sit at poker table with cuban cigars counting the endless stacks of money collected from every increasing outa work union member dues.

prosperity scorecard:

gregw - winner (by honest methods)

'www.laborparty.org' bosses - winner (by dishonest methods)

unemployee(s)/union members - loser

the end