Teamsters Play Hardball with Darigold

catbirdseat

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Milk. Nothing beats a hot glass of festering milk to start the day off right. Hee at Darigold, Our scab workers take only the least amount of pride in getting this warm, pus like substance off of the floor and into your cereal bowl.

Use Darigold milk as a spread on your favorite bagel, or as a topping on your baked potato. It's cheaper than cheese, and pours like a dream, thanks to our new 'Clot Spout' clotted scab milk anti-clotting pouring spout. And it's rich in larval proteins!

Darigold Milk. Chew a glass today."

CBS:

Just an observation. I drive down 15th almsot everyday in the morning for work. Two months ago they Union guys and gals were out here waiving signs. When we first started seeing them my wife and I both remarked about how unorganized they seemed and how ineffective thier signs were (you could really tell what was going on). After about a week we figured out it was omse kind of either a strike or an attempt to get them to Unionize. Which one was never very clear to us (and I think most anyone driving by).

It seems to be a bit late in the game to be putting radio ads like that on the air...am I wrong? Why didn't ehy hit them with it right out of the gate in an organized fashion? They seem to have done a really poor job of communicating the fact the a strike (assuming that is what is actually going on) is even occuring.

I don't think they lost momentum, I don't think they ever had any. What's it all about?

Fuck the Teamsters, I'm now buying all Darigold. John Deere broke the union, I hope Darigold does the same.
I'm surprised that a working stiff like yourself could be so anti-union. Unions make life better for for a lot of people.

Why would you be surprised that I believe in the ideal of personal merit as opposed to collectivism? Anymore, unions are simply tools for large numbers of workers to extort benefits they may not necessarily deserve from employers. It's extortion plain and simple: "give us more money/benefits or all of us are going to walk out." Please don't respond with all sorts of "unions help blah blah blah"; I've worked with several unions over my career and have no use for any of them. Why not excel and earn based on your personal merit not the coattails of someone else?

Fuck the Teamsters, I'm now buying all Darigold. John Deere broke the union, I hope Darigold does the same.
I'm surprised that a working stiff like yourself could be so anti-union. Unions make life better for for a lot of people.

CBS republicans as a whole are anti-union. this is a "gimme" when it comes to greg

You're assuming that employers reward employees based on personal merit. It just doesn't always work this way in the real world. Employers routinely look to maximize their profits--not your salary.

Huh, wow, and here I thought that I had actually been working in the real world for the past 12 years. Gee, thanks for enlightening me on "the real world". rolleyes.gif You must work for the wrong people. I work, and have worked, for companies who do reward employees based on merit. If this ceases, I move on to someone who values the skills and abilities I bring to the mix.

Greg_W

Ever heard of affirmative action?

I was speaking in general Greggy. Not specifically about your work experience because I really know nothing about that any more than you do about mine.

I believe in personal responsibility just as much as you do. I'm not so delusional to not see the fact that very worthy people often get overlooked/overpassed/underpaid. Move on? Sure, thats a great idea. I think unions suck too but they served their purpose back in the day.

Do you think you have 'always' been fairly rewarded for what you contribute to a company? Do you think Jack Welch should be drawing millions of dollars a year in retirement income while GE cuts off the benefits it promised its retirees? What are they supposed to do?

Ever heard of affirmative action?

I was speaking in general Greggy.

Do you think you have 'always' been fairly rewarded for what you contribute to a company? Do you think Jack Welch should be drawing millions of dollars a year in retirement income while GE cuts off the benefits it promised its retirees? What are they supposed to do?

i think the correct spelling is greggIE. confused.gif

i've wondered about this in the past. the only explanation i've heard is that the amount he received wouldn't have taken care of the pension short fall.

it's a shame, a well managed pension plan can be a solid asset for a company. a poorly managed one can ruin it.

CBS:

I am not commenting at all on unions, only the strategy, orlack thereof, in this instance. I assume this is an actual strike? as opposed to some workers trying to get them to unionize?

What have they done? Why haven't they gotten much press? Where are the strikers? Why aren't they out there?

It just doesn't seem like taking out an ad or two is going to do much more than start litgation. There are many that dislike unions and many that are indifferent and will see through the radio ads.

Curious.

Why would you be surprised that I believe in the ideal of personal merit as opposed to collectivism? Anymore, unions are simply tools for large numbers of workers to extort benefits they may not necessarily deserve from employers. It's extortion plain and simple: "give us more money/benefits or all of us are going to walk out." Please don't respond with all sorts of "unions help blah blah blah"; I've worked with several unions over my career and have no use for any of them. Why not excel and earn based on your personal merit not the coattails of someone else?

Prostitutes' Unions

Mexican prostitutes, especially in larger cities, frequently form organizations--what amount to prostitutes' labor unions-usually to fight exploitation by the hotel owners who rent them their cribs, or to protest police harassment. Sometimes the prostitutes' unions also attempt to work with government public health workers conducting STDS and AIDS programs. Organized prostitutes also wok to eliminate child prostitution, apparently out of moral concerns and perhaps

also to eliminate cheap competition. In Mexico City, prostitutes sometimes work with feminist organizations and with political parties to lobby for legislation or regulation in their self-interest.

How dare these hookers "extort benefits from employers"??????

Edited by Dru

Gregw you should pack up and move to mexico where the unions have no power and all workers are rewarded based on performance.I worked 13 years non union (merit shops) and if I recieved everything that was ever promised Id be a rich somebitch right now.Yes employers on the whole do reward good hard work.They have to or the employees get pissed and get organized.This is what I did.I joined the union 6 years ago and have never been happier.If you dont want to be union dont join one.But please,dont judge all unions based on your bad experiance.I get sick of people talkin shit and saying "they never did anything for me" well people its not just about you.

toptimmy:

"If you dont want to be union dont join one"

Let me start by saying that I have never been in a Union nor have I ever worked in the type of shops that normally unionize, so my personal experience is very limited.

But I hear many complain that you have to be in the union in order to work in certain shops and/or fields. that the unions won't allow non-union workers to work side by side. Assuming this to be true, doesn’t that make your statement ring hollow? Can people not join a union and still work side by side with those in a union? Does it vary from industry to industry, shop to shop?

Just asking...this is one issue that has always puzzled me.

CBS:

Thanks or the link. Informative.

"WestFarm generated $1.1 billion in sales and $2.3 million in profits last year from 11 plants in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and California. The company is owned by the Northwest Dairy Association, a cooperative of 700 farms facing the lowest milk prices in 25 years."

Sounds like a bad time to strike. Of course I doubt that they could have anticipated the market.