Silver Star in Clark/skamania

Blake

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shortly after the big dump we had around the new year we went up there. It looks like there would be some kick ass lines on the NE side of Silver Star. When we were up there you could only get to within a couple miles of the trail head. There was about 2 feet of snow on the ground. Not sure what is like now. We are thinking about going up there on Sunday. PM me if you are interestedin going.

I haven't gotten turns in there personally, but here's a photo a bud took a few weeks ago.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=3627&password=&sort=1&cat=509

I went up today to suss the drive. It can be complicated. Thought I was heading out via Yacoult and came out at the Larch Mtn Correctional Facility and then back to Camas cantfocus.gif Slightly better roads that way than from Washougal River, thanks to the prison-industrial-complex.

Was raining heavily at the parking, what you could see of the trail was bare. Larch Mtn to the west had patchy snow cover, wouldn't be fun.

Need a low snow level to shake it back into shape. When that happens, it'd make a great Dawn Patrol run. Anyone up for sneaking in late to work?

Silver Star gets a lot of wind action. The result is some deep snow and then none. Son went up with telemark gear (see St. Helens thread) a couple of weeks ago and said that there was a foot of snow at the trailhead (south) but on top a lot of small trees and brush were sticking out of the snow.

He didn't go past Silver Star so the north side may be better. He met another skier up that was having the same problem. It takes a lot of snow to have good conditions and then the approach is really long.