REI Return Certificate - How do I cash it out?

schnitzem

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was buying tickets for the garage sale and the dude at the till said they just got dropped (in the mail) and should start arriving by Monday.

I haven't made any significant gear purchases at REI for at least 7-8 years, but I am always amazed at how much cash I unload there each year on fuel canisters, replacement hoses for bladders, iodine tablets, etc, etc, etc.

Speaking of REI

when are dividened checks coming out?

It seems like it gets later and later every year.

Not even the hectic pace of improving computer and database technology can keep pace with the stunning growth in the touron/gaper outdoor crowd. laugh.gif

Returned some crap to REI but all they would give me was a in-store credit reciept ---how do I get them to give me cash. rockband.gifsnaf.gif

Anyone want to buy it? It is for $220, I would sell it for $215

In my original reply I was thinking of the dividend (due to it's that time of year), but this looks like it's a credit for returned merchandise!

How can they get away with that? Don't they still have the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back policy? Has it changed to satisfaction guaranteed or you can exchange it for some other worthless REI shit?

wazzup.gif

or your money back[/i] policy?

my girlfriend returned some stuff there a couple weeks ago with the same results. they told us that if you don't have a reciept or proof of purchase on your account then they give a credit instead of cash. $220 will give you a couple of cams or ropes or something, not all of which is REI crap.

The dividend deal is just a voucher. You have to wait until July to get cash for it. If the change is less than $5 you can get it in cash I believe.

As for store credit, same deal. Buy it & take it back for cash (now you have a receipt).

I believe REI instituted a new policy w/ regard to returns. It sure seems that the employees will attempt to talk you down and give you less if you let them.

I don't buy much anymore from REI, but I still take plenty of stuff back. cool.gif

I believe REI instituted a new policy w/ regard to returns. It sure seems that the employees will attempt to talk you down and give you less if you let them.

Why? Here's why:

I don't buy much anymore from REI, but I still take plenty of stuff back. cool.gif

rolleyes.gif Sure, REI sucks, but you're breaking your side of the customer service relationship when you try to screw 'em over.

the_finger.gif I think you have the wrong impression. I bought plenty from them before I realized how much they suck. I continue to take that stuff back and get refunds when it breaks or falls apart. I have all the receipts back to '96 or so.

To assume that I'm "ethically flexible" is a bit presumptuous on your part. I've never taken back anything I didn't buy and I've never returned anything without a valid reason. 100% satisfaction guaranteed is a very broad statement, but I've never taken advantage of that.

Probably the most questionable return was a couple pairs (one for my wife) of the OR expedition mitts. Big, bulky, and very cold. Kept 'em around for years, never used them. Finally took them back during a gear room clean-out. Got $240 smackers for them after collecting cat fuzz in the bottom of a plastic box for years.

schnitzem

I had the misfortune of slaving for the corporation posing as a coop you all know as REI. With regard to your question about cashing that puppy, you are basically stuck with it. Here is why:

If you buy something with it (up to the value given), it will show on the receipt you receive at the time of purchase that you paid with in store credit. This fact appears on both the paper receipt as well as in their computer (assuming you used you REI member number). When you take back whatever you purchased and try to return it, they will only give you back in the same form (i.e. instore credit).

As far as someone suggesting to buy something cheap and ask for cash back, that won't work either. The computer registers they have there are programmed to automatically give the difference in instore credit again until it is under approx. 10 dollars. Suck.

As of 2000 (when I last worked for them), the only sneak way around this was to buy a gift certificate for someone (anyone) with the instore credit and then have them go in and cash the gift certificate as at that time REI allowed customers to cash gift certificates. I am fairly certain they have changed this as quite a few people where taking advantage of this. Just ask what there policy is about cashing gift certificates before you buy one.

I think your best bet is to try and get someone to try and buy it from you. A few other options, though risky, include:

Buy 2 of the same exact item (at separate times), one with your instore credit and the other with a VISA card. Only use your member number on one that you buy with the VISA card. When your VISA statement comes, take that with you along with one of the items (the one you actually bought with instore credit) and return it, using the VISA statement as proof that you paid for it using your VISA (claim you lost the receipt). Have a friend go in a few days later with the same exact item (or you) and this time use the paper receipt you received when you purchased the item using your VISA card. In the end you will have purchase an item twice (once with instore credit and once with VISA), but recieved 2 credits to your VISA card. All bets are off if you use your customer number for both items or have the same CS person help you both times. If you think you want to try this, let me know and I can post info about the best times to try and return things as well as how to judge if someone is going to do it and tricks to use.

One other trick is to buy something at REI with the credit that another store carries (the bigger the better i.e. GI Joes). Take it there and return it after you check out there return policy in advance. I know both GI Joes and REI carry North Face, you could buy a jacket that both have and then return it at Joes assuming you remove all evidence of REI (tags and such) and prior to returning the jacket, cruise into Joes and get there price tags of the jacket and bring those with you. You need to some how convince them you bought it there.

Let me know what you are planning and I will help as best I can.

Lastly, for all you, check out the Oregonians article in the business section last week about REI’s new corporate plan that includes doubling the number of stores over five years. Coop my ass.

Wow thanks for all the help/details.

I have a scheme that I am trying right now.....will fill in more details if it works.

For some reason after posting this question and going to REI, I had the feeling that some suit at REI was spying on the forum...and before I know it they were going to cuff and stuff me for fraud!

Well, good on ya for being honest. I know a guy who is no longer able to return anything he got at REI... he's living the "ethically flexible" dirtbag life.

Banned for life from REI. Now that's something to aspire too. rockband.gif

But how will I get my campstove espresso maker and hand crank blender parts? cry.gif

Dude! Tell me about the suits f-ing with you! I'd love to hear how the co-op is doing its best to put its owners interests first.

If you need info about the best times to try and return things (i.e times management will less likely be staffing the customer service counter), let me know.

Did you get a manager? Sometimes you need to go back a number of times before you don't get one. And say something like "so and so told me this was acceptable over the phone and even if the person comes over and says they didn't, get ugly: carry on about how far you had to drive after someone promised this was fine, etc. etc. And which store are you going to? The bigger the better generally.

Good luck!