R.I.P. Jim Andreus

RURP

This is "Dwayner", coming out of exile to make a few brief comments about a friend. I am using RURP’s avatar (“thanks, RURP”) because my original one was discontinued for reasons about which I can only speculate and for which I don’t wish to dilute this post.

Like many of you, probably, I waited in nervous anticipation to learn the names of the three men killed in the avalanche in Banff on February 12th. Over the last 30 years, I have lost several good friends and all-too-many acquaintances in climbing or adventure-related incidents. Anyone seriously involved in mountaineering for a long period of time has probably experienced the same. When the names were reported, I was very sad to learn that an old friend of mine, Jim Andreus of Tacoma, was among those who perished. Regretably, I was traveling at the time of the memorials last Saturday but I just wanted to offer a few words of appreciation.

Jim was not a famous climber, but he was solidly dedicated to an adventurous existence which he lived quite fully. I first met him around 1982 while rock climbing in Leavenworth, he was in his mid-40’s then, and our paths crossed over and over again through the years, in various places and contexts. Jim was a leader and possessed a very commanding presence and an inspiring air of confidence. He was fun to be with and his articulate comments often showed great insight and thoughtfulness. He spent a good part of his life in service to others including participation in the Tacoma Mountain Rescue unit. Although some climbers make fun of Mountain Rescue and their organized regime, they really do a great and often under-appreciated job for us and if I were ever so unfortunate to have to be searched for and/or rescued, I would have been delighted, relieved and comforted to be found and cared for by a brave individual such as Jim. In his mid-60’s, he was living life with gusto and will be deeply missed by those who got to know him. I can still hear his unmistakable voice calling out with its youthful enthusiasm.

Here’s to you, friend Jim! AndruesJames00.jpg

Those of you who would like to view a touching memorial to our fallen friends can visit the following link:

Tacoma Mountain Rescue Memorial

Aloha,

- Don

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems no matter how good you are (Alex Lowe, John Smolich etc etc etc) an avalanch can wipe you out in seconds. It's always damn sad to see too.

Thanks for popping back in Dwayner, I don't have a clue why you were banned, how about coming back under another name? How about "FD" (free Dwayner) or "FTMF who Banned me the first time", or something of that spirit?

In either case, don't be a stranger set up another site and let us know where or punch back in eh?

Thanks Dwayner for you memories of Jim Andrues. Everything you metioned about him I saw as well. It's all true, he was a good man.

I first met Jim nearly 20 years ago when he was involved with the Tacoma Mountaineers, when I was a beginner of an alpinist, went up Olympus with him in 1986. Worked with him on a couple of climbing related projects in the next few years, and again later in TMRU. Jim was originally an audiologist, left that late in life to get into law enforcement. He was a serious road cyclist, a veteran of at least one RAMROD.

My last brush with Jim was this past December, in the parking lot at Longmire. I saw a lot of old TMRU acquantances in the dark waiting for the gate to open. I'm sorry to say I missed Jim that day..... but a friend later reported to me that Jim had seen me and was glad that I was still active in climbing.

All who knew him hold him in strong regard, and will keep his memory.

Thanks Jim