Avalanche near Whistler (Flute)

snoboy

1 damn lucky snowboarder...

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_boarder20040223

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/story.html?id=10bb7a75-b8cb-4561-9273-5884ab662c66

February 20, 2004

This Bulletin Sponsored by Canadian Pacific Railway

South Coast Region

Weather: Benign weather is forecast for the weekend. No precipitation is expected until late on Monday.

Temperatures will be mild through the weekend, and temperatures in the alpine will be about -3, but should move

above freezing in the afternoon. Negative temperatures are expected overnight. Winds will be uncharacteristically

light all weekend.

Snowpack: Snowfall and winds prior to Wednesday created a hodgepodge of layering in alpine areas. Many locations

report hard and soft windslabs over some sort of crusted surface. Observations Friday point to generally

strengthening surface layers and tightening in of slabs. Cool temperatures overnight should allow further

improvement. At treeline and below, less wind activity was seen. In these spots 20-30 cm of storm snow sits on

buried surface hoar. Reports indicate that this layer is not currently a concern for human triggering Deeper

layers in the snowpack are reported to be mostly strong.

Avalanche Activity: Avalanche activity was minimal on Thursday and Friday. One human triggered avalanche was

observed on a 30 cm windslab in alpine terrain.

Forecast of Avalanche Danger Up To Monday Evening (February 23, 2004)

Alpine ? MODERATE caution on south facing terrain in the afternoon

Treeline ? MODERATE

Below Treeline ? LOW

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saturday at StevensPass: a couple friends and I were headed out for a little hike on the backside. The hike we were doing begins beneath the power lines at a notch in a bowl and there is a short traverse to get there. I was ahead of my friends and came upon a group of young kids (4 middle school/fresh.or soph.??). One of em says to me"Did you see that?!!" What am I supposed to have seen? The kids go on to tell me they were just involved in an avalanche. I'm thinking damn kids you're pretty lucky if you were just in an avalanche and all of you are already back at the top of the slope. I ask them what happened. Their story went that they were standing at the edge of the bowl getting ready to jump when the slope gave out. Well, its a pretty small cornice they were standing on but still a cornice (probably 2-3ft). I ask if everyone is ok then go on to tell them they were standing on the edge of a cornice. Explain to them what a cornice is and why they shouldn't be standing on the edge of one especially not the whole group. I'm pretty sure this group of lucky kids will proceed a little more cautiously around cornices from now on.

oh, the hike was cool and I made sure to sideslip a chute for all the skiers out there. grin.gif