Alpine Climbing: Cascades to Patagonia with local climber and author, Dan Cauthorn

The_North_Face

Join alpinist and author, Dan Cauthorn, for an evening of slides and stories of over two decades of climbing adventures. Highlights of this retrospective program include new and classic routes in the Cascades, explorations in the Coast Range of British Columbia, and an exciting ascent of the West Face of Cerro Torre in Patagonia. Additionally, Dan will recount his remarkable 1995 first ascent of the steep and elegant south buttress of Burkett Needle, a rock sentinel in southeast Alaska that had seen just one previous ascent in 1964 by the legendary Layton Kor. Dan Cauthorn is a Seattle native and long time Cascade climber. He was co-founder of the first indoor climbing gym in the United States, Vertical World, authored the popular book, Gym to Crag, and is currently a manufacturer's rep for W.L. Gore. This program is guaranteed to inspire climbers of all interests and abilities.

Place: The North Face, 1023 1st.Ave

Date: Wednesday, May 15th

Time: 7:30pm

Cost: FREE!!!

We will also be serving some snacks and drinks. Hope to see you there!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Steamer:

Isn't this guy a sell out?

sell out? wtf [Confused] what exactly is a "sell out" anyway? my understanding is that a sell out is a type of snitch. perhaps he isn't living his life according to your standards... or isn't the guy he used to be... well so what. its his life. i don't know anything about the guy other than he's a much more accomplished climber than i will ever be. maybe you would like to elaborate on dan's "sell out" qualities?

quote:

Originally posted by Steamer:

Just asking a question. I was under the impression that all climbers that do North Face slide shows were sell-outs.

i'll repeat my original question: what exactly do you mean by sell out [Confused]

[ 05-10-2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: James ]

Interesting question. I've done two or three shows at the North Face over the past 15 years. Typically I put a show together at the request of some club, then the store manager hears about it and asks if I'd be willing to show it at the store. Typically the managers have been nice guys, so if I'm not too busy I say okay.

The North Face does pay for speakers. But I make my living as an engineer and the speaker's fee doesn't cover the time I put into it.

Am I a sellout?

[ 05-10-2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Lowell Skoog ]

Allright, on a serious note, Lowell I do not know you or all of the things you or your brother(s) have done. However, I do know you have many accomplishments and have made many contributions to climbing in the PNW. For that, I have nothing but the highest regards for you.

I do not know Dan Cauthorn and have never heard his name before. I have no opinion of him or his accomplishments.

I do not care what slide shows you do today or in the future. I was merely attempting to inflame (stir the pot) those that have expressed the "sell-out" mentality on this site in the past w/o having any real knowledge of the individuals. Peace to both Dan and Lowell.

To SK, CircleK, Trask, et al. you can suck my big fat one!