[TR] Mt Buckner- North Face 2/20/2004

TeleRoss

Thanks Lowell, you said it better than I. That year seemed to be a constant rolling of storms one after another over the Cascades and it was hard to find a "window" that year. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right year, not just week. Goes for climbing too. Still, those guys get the highest of praise from me. Wish I had been invited! I'll bet that thread was a motivator for them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross,

You rock! We tried the same route on Thanksgiving in 2003.

It was a torture without skiis so we did not get further than the trailhead.

Sounds as you had the same snow conditions, because we also got stuck at mile 16 and had to walk in. It took us a whole day to trailhead (8 miles).

So, I must learn to take skiis on winter trips.

Any advice as to inexpensive brand to fit to my climbing boots?

Dima-

If you really want inexpensive skis, go to the used sports equipment shops and even the Salvation Army. I've got a pair of old downhill boards with Silveretta bindings on them that I use for approaches when I'm not planning to actually ski very much.

In addition to old skis, I bought older (used) bindings, and the whole rig cost $75. They're heavy and offer poor performance, but I tested them at Crystal Mountain before I took them into the real mountains, and I can get down what I need to get down on them. The gear works OK for approaching climbs.

All I have to say to the comments about storming and conditions is-

Whatever. It's done twice.

I believe that those arguments are there to fulfill their own posters egos or failures to arguments. The reason is that nobody knew when the storms were coming and going for sure and that there were times when it could have been done. I know for one that some folks that like to ski that I know and would not ski this with or many other objectives would ski it in many conditions that some people may not. Nod your head and shut up and accept the truch is all I have to say. Disagree - fine-