Did Anything Get Climbed

MtnHigh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A whole gaggle of us were on the NE Butt of Chair on Sun. Some dudes did the E Face of Chair earlier in the morn. Don't know much about folks doing the N Face... we were planning on doing it originally but didn't feel comfortable with the avy danger (on the traverse to the N Face, the top few inches were shearing off readily).

Clearest day I've seen in a long time. Could see the Seattle skyline from the top of Chair.

Gary, those "dudes" that did the East Face earlier in the morning was just one guy (named Kendall). We met him in the upper east basin after he descended (staggered) out of the rappel gully. He told us he went up the middle of the East Face then up the slightly overhanging waterfall at mid-face. Spicy, he said. See this picture.

So, after attempting the far left side of the wall at Elbow Lake on Saturday, we saw some climbers cleaning routes, so we decided to back down and let them clean due to boulders and debris crashing down beside us.

Looked like a lot of rope climbing and wall hugging, so a great deal of thanks goes to these guys who I imagine did a great job at making the climbs there safer.

So, retreating down to the boulder feild for some rock jock grabs and pulls, we molested the boulders for the day, and all was well until one bit back. Crimping an overhang on one that had a couple sharp spires underneath it, I fell and landed on my feet...Except the saw tooth blade edge of this dagger of a rock below it caught my left leg and ate enough skin to seperate enough skin to warrant a reaction of 'oh shit, I gotta go to the hospital'...which is the first time I have ever said that in my life.

I did not know what the hell happen to my leg...I have never looked at an open gash in my skin where I thought I could see all the way to the bone...

Luckily it was just all layers of flesh. Rushing from the boulders to the hospital was rather slow, go figure...A train in Deroche was crossing, so we grabbed the camera and started taking pics of this gouge in my leg...

Oh well, goes to show Bouldering deserves respect just as much as sport, trad, and alpine. Anyways, 28 stiches, and a 10 rolls of gauze later, I was back sunday night in the gym, upperbody for the next 10 days untill the stiches come out!

313343-elbowlake.JPG.9480afac27a93d0cd1e654f9d64fc03d.JPG

Yeah I'm sure there was a slightly overhanging waterfall on the east face of chair. Geek_em8.gif

The waterfall he climbed was clearly visible. He said he went up the fat one, which was on the right. I got a view of it from on the Northeast But., and it looked about 30 to 40 feet high and dead vertical. It probably just felt overhanging to him since he was soloing the route. Nice send dude!