climbing with my spouse/date/ SO is:

minx

please don't turn this into a big time relationship thread

just taking a survey after making some observations this weekend.

a) the best. we climb great together and i never climb better

b) stressful. i don't climb my best but we have a good time.

c) a total disaster. no way is that ever going to happen again.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please don't turn this into a big time relationship thread

just taking a survey after making some observations this weekend.

a) the best. we climb great together and i never climb better

b) stressful. i don't climb my best but we have a good time.

c) a total disaster. no way is that ever going to happen again.

all of the above. Sometimes it was TOTALY AWSOME. and sometimes it wasn't. Very simulare to climbing with any one person over a period of time. My best friend and I do the samething. Sometimes it is great and we are totaly on and I french free a .10a and sometimes we climb once and go home because the mojo just isn't there or it starts to snow or some other thing.

A, unless controversial relationship related conversation is brought up during the approach or the drive.

My ground rule is now: on climbing days we climb first and talk about stuff afterwards.

I learned this one the hard way. Good rule. I do NOT want an angry belayer. thumbs_down.gif

my beef is this: when I'm focusing on preparing to lead, I don't need all the extra baggage floating around in my head. If I'm not 100% there I don't perform well.

Things like: why don't you like my friend XX?, why didn't you hug/kiss me in front of YY?, why did you tell your parents Z about us?, and the classic...do these pants/shorts make my thighs look big?...are all sure fire ways to spoil a good day of climbing.

I'm more than willing to address ANY of those issues, but let's do it over beers AFTER the climb.

the fist 4 years my wife and I tried to climb were really hit and miss. we had some pretty good trips, but many times one or the other of us were not having much fun. we realized that we had very different ideas for what constituted a "fun" time, and different priorities and goals for climbing....

with that realization, we've been more selective about the objectives we invite each other on, and I think our climbing together has been super fun since then..!