Seeking Bend Info

SmokeShow

Considering seasonal employment in Bend...

Done some research and learned about all the cool outdoor options. Took a visit today and checked out town and dug it. Looking for info on apartments (such as the best resource to use to find one), nice part of town to live, hidden jems, anything else not apparent to the out of towner.

Muchas Gracias,

SS

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talk to the birthday boy, Gapertimmy. jlag could probably add some stuff as well. but what more do you need...bachy, the sisters, smiff, bouldering all over, the deschutes... are you working in bend or nearby? i bet you could find cheaper housing outside of town. you could talk to your perspective employer for lodging beta too. it's a sweet place to spend the summer thumbs_up.gif

Hey Smokeshow, I can help ya out with any info you need. I've lived in Bend for about 7 years now and have paid my dues with housing/jobs. Yeah, the WEstside is a "cooler" place to live but expect higher rent and more traffic. You can easily get a cheaper place on the eastside and drive an extra 5 minutes to the mountain. YOu can go through housing management but supply has grown beyond demand for housing, lot's of places for rent through private owners. Buying a place and renting it out has been the trend for out-of-towners the last couple of years and now rent has leveled off. The house next door to us(Westside mo fo)is 2 bd 1 bath for $750/month. Super nice house,great location. PM me if you need anymore info. Take care.

Ditto the above recco for West Side living. The East Side has been developed in the cookie-cutter suburbia aesthetic, and is mostly (not entirely) devoid of cultural, recreational, and gastronomical appeal, although you may find cheapish rent in a newish apartment megaplex, if you're into that sort of thing. The west side has the breweries, the park, the outdoor stores, the coffee joints, downtown, the climbing gym, actual older neighborhoods, the bouldering, and the added advantage of allowing you to make W's with your hands and hollering "west-saaaaayyyyyeeeeeed" in your best South Central accent. Choice. (Try www.bendbulletin.com for rental listings.)

Bend's pretty small, with a pretty concentrated downtown area containing most of your likely hangouts, with likely backup haunts within about a mile, mostly on main streets. It's a very user-friendly, easy place to live. Killer weather, friendly/outdoor-minded folks, with climbing opportunities year-round if you're motivated, a free outdoor summer music festival thingy, and good beer and food in relative abundance. Score. (Taco Stand, Deschutes Brewery, Pizza Mondo, Toomey's (Thai), BBC, Westside Bakery, Cup o' Magic (if they're still open -- fruity name, killer bagels) are all recommended for grubbin'.)

For the after-work/school/hangover climbing sesh, there is fine bouldering to be had at Meadow Camp (watch for ticks), The Zone (watch for rent-a-cops on the approach), The Awbrey Glen golf course (technically, you shouldn't go here; realistically, just don't get caught -- it's not going to get any more closed to climbing than it already is, and it's never going to get any less closed to climbing -- winter and evenings are the best times to go), and there are some more areas that the locals can fill you in on. And of course Smith is 20 minutes away. Nice. (For the rare times you need to climb inside, InClimb is the local gym; dunno anything about it, tho')

You're also a stone's throw from a healthy chunk of hikeable wilderness, alpine choss-groveling, caving, motorized off-road erosionification, whitewater boating, swimming, snow-sliding, mountain bicycling, trail running, etc. etc. etc.

Lucky bastard.

• 2 weeks later...

i usually import my wimmin from prineville or burns, so don't worry about lack of fine choices within bend. besides country girls are much better than patagucci wearin bend girls.

I represent the EAST SIDE up in here. I guess i'm not truly east side, but kind of middle central. If i were a single young buck, i'd definately do the west side thing, get myself one of those cruise bikes, which i could ride to drake park and play hackey sack, or maybe get involved in that club that does cool medieval duels in the park.

Nevertheless, bend is a happenin great town. plenty to do and see, and drink and eat. Let us know when you arrive and we'll through a pub club so you can meet up with some of the SICKEST mofo's this side of the cascades.