Mysteries of the sauna

Cairns

Hot air expands, so there is less O2. To forestall the disastrous consequences of this the WVAC sauna door has a large hole at the bottom to allow O2 to enter.

Assuming sea level pressure, how much O2 is missing in a sauna heated to 80 degrees C? What would the equivalent elevation be where the air is equally thin? How about for 100 degrees C?

If you are just sitting in a sauna, with mostly relaxed muscles, and your body temp has risen 1 degree C, has your O2 consumption gone up, down, or sideways?

How is the view from Seattle of the Orange Water Slide? Property values affected?

To help Dru, here is an attachment of what might look like a stupid partner trick, but really it is just a way to do In Search of the Perfect Pump.

310760-s.thumb.jpg.f34355c69ebde18ed69afba671954403.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uhm. I think you mean Farenheit. 100*C is perty toasty! hellno3d.gif

dude. sauna = steam. steam = boiling. boiling = 100C. wave.gif

Dude. He said the sauna was heated to 100C. That would roast your skin. wave.gif

not necessarily. in the army they did tests where they heated soldier volunteers at like 200C for two hours trying to get them to pass out etc. if you reach 100c at a slow rate of increase your skin has time to adjust (sweating etc).

Dude. He said the sauna was heated to 100C. That would roast your skin. wave.gif

not necessarily. in the army they did tests where they heated soldier volunteers at like 200C for two hours trying to get them to pass out etc. if you reach 100c at a slow rate of increase your skin has time to adjust (sweating etc).

There is no freaking way I am getting into a sauna at 100 degrees C. I use to go to this place that had Finnish style suanas (wood burning) and they were hot, 160 degrees F. Most electric sauna will get up to 120 F, gas ones hotter. I find 140 F pretty comfortable, but a lot of people I know that sauna regularly find 140 F pretty hot.

The heating source I can see getting to 100 C. Sauna does not equal steam it equals dry heat. Steam in a sauna is only periodic and it is generated right at the heat source.

Dur: Steam at 100*C would burn your skin. Try it with your teapot. It would also be invisible to the eye. The steam you see in a sauna is condensed water vapor, at <100*C.

As far as heating soldiers to 200*C, air has a much lower heat capacity (1/4) than water. 200*C air against your body will heat you much less than 200*C water against your body.

fak-you naysayers, ive been in a sauna that was so hot the thermometer broke and the alcohol ran out the top and evaporated. the_finger.gif it was so hot we brought horsecock inside and because horsecock doesnt have sweat glands it spontaneously combusted.

here's another thought. cO2 is heavier than air. maybe the hole in the sauna door is to let cO2 out rather than oxygen in crazy.gif

There is no freaking way I am getting into a sauna at 100 degrees C. I use to go to this place that had Finnish style suanas (wood burning) and they were hot, 160 degrees F. Most electric sauna will get up to 120 F, gas ones hotter. I find 140 F pretty comfortable, but a lot of people I know that sauna regularly find 140 F pretty hot.

The heating source I can see getting to 100 C. Sauna does not equal steam it equals dry heat. Steam in a sauna is only periodic and it is generated right at the heat source.

In the old WVAC sauna we had a thermometer that showed highs of 85-90 degrees CENTIGRADE. Sometimes people would come in and complain it wasn't hot enough, naturally. Some visitors told us that European saunas are often 100 C or more. No way anyone is getting near water at 100, but the sauna is dry. If you go out into below 0 air temp, do you freeze right away? In the sauna your skin temp stays below air temp thanks to evaporation and your circulation exchanging heat with your core. Don't wear metal. Blink, or you could fry your cornea because no underlying circulation.

One day a kid will come rushing in from the pool and toss a bucket of water on the heating coil.