Rainier Climbing Permits...?

Ryan

I'm planning a trip to Rainier in May, and I have never been to the area before...what (if any) steps need to be taken to secure a climbing permit? How far in advance should I plan on getting the permit...and is there a cost? I'm sure this question has been asked countless times...thanks for putting up with it!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, thanks for the info guys...so let me get this straight then- besides the flat rate, there is a 20 dollar fee for each climb? Or does the 20 dollar fee cover the 2 weeks that it mentions, which means that I would be able to climb the 2 or 3 routes that I had planned? Thanks again!

There are four of us going, two of which have not had much mountain experience, but are experienced climbers. We'll be doing the DC route with them, and then they'll head down and my other partner and I plan to remain at Muir and climb the Gibralter Chute route after the DC route. Then, conditions permitting, we might go for Liberty Ridge seeing as how we'll have experienced the descent already. We plan on being in the Cascades for 2 full weeks, so that should give us enough time to tick off those routes...what do you all think?

Wishfull thinking. Have you ever been to the northwest in May? You might climb them all, or you might climb nothing. If I was you I would come up with a couple of backup plans on the east side of the mountains. Take a look at some of the stuff on DragonTail Peak, Colchuck Peak, or Mt. Stuart, as weather bail out options. The climbings better on them anyway.

How do you plan to get from Camp Muir to the Carbon Glacier? You could decend to the Wonderland Trail. You could pick up a cache at White River. Or you could do a traverse of the Emmons from Muir to Camp Schurman. You could probably beg enough food off of descending climbers for Liberty Ridge tongue.gif. I suppose you could instead do a carry over on your Gib Ledges to Schurman too.

There are four of us going, two of which have not had much mountain experience, but are experienced climbers. We'll be doing the DC route with them, and then they'll head down and my other partner and I plan to remain at Muir and climb the Gibralter Chute route after the DC route. Then, conditions permitting, we might go for Liberty Ridge seeing as how we'll have experienced the descent already. We plan on being in the Cascades for 2 full weeks, so that should give us enough time to tick off those routes...what do you all think?

In my opinion....forget Rainier altogether. Go to the North Cascades. Do Dome, Forbidden, Logan, or Spickard.

Thanks for the pointers...catbirdseat, our plan was to do the DC and Gib Ledges route and then come back down to Paradise and head over and take the White River approach (I believe that's the one?) to Liberty Ridge. Some of you are probably right though- this plan may be a bit too ambitious. If it were my call we'd head straight for Liberty Ridge, but the DC is the route that suits the majority's ability and ambition. Unfortunate. One of my partners is game for more technical routes, though, so we may look at scrapping any shot at Rainier altogether and doing some other peaks. Is the DC worth my time seeing as how it's the only route I can do with my friends and still get to the summit? I'm completely unfamiliar with the PNW, so any and all advice is appreciated.

Just getting up Rainier once is cool...Granted, not a technical challenge via the DC, but pretty cool none the less. It is unlike anything else in the States (except maybe the other PNW volcanoes).

With two weeks you should have time to do the DC and then have plenty of time to do other peaks. There is soo much around here. Assuming you can lead alpine rock there are many cool and fun routes on cool and fun peaks with all levels of diffculty.

If you just want to focus on the volcanoes, then why not doa PNW volcano tour? Start at Baker and work your way south.

I'm sure most here would agree the North Ridge of Stuart which is a grade IV 5.9. It is a fair amount of pitches, about 15 with a handfull of pitches going at 5.8 - 5.9. It can be done by skipping these "gendarme" pitches making it a bit easier.

For something easier in the same area, but very fun, maybe do a traverse of the three Ingals peaks. This is 5.7 with most of it being low fifth and some scrambling.

Both are in a beautiful setting.

Maybe West Ridge of Forbidden Peak = 5.6 Grade II-III, 50 degree snow, some glacier travel

Maybe East Ridge of Forbidden Peak = 5.8 Grade II.

Washington Pass has some GREAT "alpine crag" climbing where you can car camp at night and hit some amazing climbing by day. Really, the routes there range from easy classic to stout and challenging classics. A can't miss area in my opinion.

Look at some books (Beckey's Cascade Alpine Guides and Nelson Selected Climbs in the Cascades) and generate a list. Then post your list seeking feedback. You'll get plenty of beta and opnions.

I really think you should consider doing Rainier and then fan out and hit the North Cascades. There is SOOO much more here than Rainier. And may the permit situation is good, because many North Cascades area don't consider that time of year as high season.

2 cents.

Anyone have any other peaks or areas to suggest?

Edited by Rodchester