Dynafit AT bindings for big/strong folks?

gslater

I'm trying to put together an AT setup, and am currently shopping for bindings. The light weight and track record of the Dynafit bindings are appealing. I've been trying to find testimony from satisfied Dynafit users who are larger than average. I have no doubt they're fine for 150 lb skiers, but I'm typically about 220, and have a very strong downhill skiing background. If I get the Dynafits, will I be blowing out of them all the time? Are there any heavier/stronger folks out there who can share their experiences?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got some used Dynafits and tried them for the first time last weekend. I'm 5'8" and about 170 these days, so maybe lighter than you are hoping for a testimonial. I had one guy at a downhill ski shop tell me I had made a big mistake in getting these bindings, especially last year's model, that they were sure to blow out on me. So at Mission Ridge for the last few runs, after the family had headed back to the green circle slopes, I tested them on the steepest faces I could get to, jamming hard jump turns and daring them to pop. They never pre-released, but they did pop right out as intended on my one relatively high speed crash. Interestingly, the only time they have popped out inappropriately is in climbing mode, where applying too much torsional force can make them release. I think the newer models are better in this regard. After struggling with tele for a few years, I'm definitely sold on this setup.

It totally depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something to take big drops on and really rank on, than the dynafits probably aren't the best for you. If you are looking for a very well rounded setup that climbs well, packs on your back super light, and skis most everything well, than the dynafits are awesome.

It totally depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for something to take big drops on and really rank on, than the dynafits probably aren't the best for you. If you are looking for a very well rounded setup that climbs well, packs on your back super light, and skis most everything well, than the dynafits are awesome.

Not really planning on big drops and such with the AT gear. If I want to do that stuff, I'll use my regular downhill gear. I'm more concerned about general "big boy crankin' some hard turns through heavy spring crud" type stuff. Mainly it's the torsional loads that have me wondering if I'll be prereleasing all the time, leaving me wishing I'd gotten Freerides instead.

For what it's worth, I'm about 180lbs and haven't pre-released from mine. I've never skied them lift-serve, but I've torqued on them pretty hard before.

If anybody's interested: I am selling some Dynafit skis and bindings, check out The Yardsale, make an offer. (also, I have some Dyanfit boots and another pair of unmounted Dynafit skis as well not listed in The Yardsale) PM me or email if you're interested.

cheers,

slow.

JK:

It might be that they're not quite setup right for your boots? (i.e. the pins in the back aren't in far enough?). Or there could be other things that are wrong with them if they have a lot (200+) days on them. There is a little nylon/plastic cap on the springs in the heel piece that gets worn out eventually, but it's easy to replace.

If you're in the Seattle area you can always take them to the guys at Pro Ski Service on Hwy99 and have them look at them, they know Dynafit bindings pretty well.

Josh - My Dynafits would release like crazy until I took a closer look at the mounting job - basically the boot was not in line with the ski (off by maybe 1-2mm). Engaging the heel would then put just enough pressure on the toepeice to allow it to work most of the time but release under not too much force. Once I remounted them, no problems, the only times I've had them release is when I'd expect them to.

GSlater - I'm about 175 and rarely have them in the bumps (tho no probems when I have) so I guess that doesn't help you much. I do know that there's DIN room to crank mine down more if I wanted to.

All -

Thanks for the info. Coming from a life of using regular downhill gear, the little two-pin rear heelpiece mechanism just seems kind of sketchy to me. But lots of people have been using the stuff for a long time, so I guess it must work. Would be nice to get some data from 200+ pounders, though...

I suppose I could always try the Dynafit setup, and then if I don't like it, that'll just create a cheap buying opportunity for a CC.com resident, right?

Although something like the Freerides look "beefier" I highly question whether they actually are...I've seen A LOT of broken fritschi's out there. I can't say for sure, but don't be deceived into thinking just because something has more metal and plastic on it that makes it beefier.

If you're talking about something that will be less of a culture shock when switching over from an alpine set up, then it would make sense to go with the freerides, naxos, (the new garmonts?), etc. And that might be a good option if you're mostly doing lift-access touring. But, Dynafit's are definately "beefy."

I broke the toe plate on my old pair of fritchi's after less than 2 years of skiing on them. After 2+ years of skiing on dynafit I love them and they're still in good shape.

TLG Dynafit isn't the only boot maker with the dynafit system. Scarpa and Garmont make boots for dynafit bindings.

Coming from a life of using regular downhill gear, the little two-pin rear heelpiece mechanism just seems kind of sketchy to me. But lots of people have been using the stuff for a long time, so I guess it must work.

if you're really worried, why don't you just get a beefier AT binding than the dynafit to start with?

I'm not really worried about it; I just covet the light weight of the Dynafits. If I save enough weight in bindings, then I can keep carrying a bunch of this body fat around. Kind of like when I was a bike racer, and I'd meet 240 lb guys who were sure they'd be faster after replacing their tiny little seatpost bolts with titanium equivalents, thus saving a whole gram.... wink.gif

Anyhoo, I know there are bigger, "beefier" bindings, but I'm not sure that they're any better as far as what I'm trying to find. Bigger doesn't necessarily equate to stronger retention.

TLG Dynafit isn't the only boot maker with the dynafit system. Scarpa and Garmont make boots for dynafit bindings.

scarpa and garmont also do not make small enough boots. don't think i haven't done some homework and talked to the companies directly!!! cry.gif i'm still working on lowa - they wouldn't give me an answer so i just bought a pair of their smallest boots and will find out soon. won't help with the dynafit "problem" but i already bought some at bindings anyway.

During the first overnight tour I took my Dynafit "Comfort" bindings on I managed to break the front binding riser plate, the red heel elevator and pop a pin out of one brake. I had skied them inbounds and on some daytours previously. I swiped one of my wife's bindings to go ski yesterday and didn't break anything. I'm small and weak but all breakage happend while carrying a heavy pack. The jury's still out on if I think they are reliable.

Thought to add my 2 cents...

Im 190lbs 6'2", and a very hard skier. I was very aprehensive going to the Dynafit system, but have become a true believer. Currently on the new Dynafit tour system, Dynafit TLT 4 pro's, and Tua Hydrogens. A very lightweight system that allows awesome variability. Also might I add that I have now taken many good cliff drops (20+ feet) without incident to any of the gear. rockband.gif

Check out Lou Dawson's website at www.wildsnow.com for some interesting information. Many people who say they are having pre-release problems (or any problems for that matter ie entry/exit/releasing the heel) simply havent taken a good look at the system as it was intended. cry.gif

Lou's site is quite comprehensive as he is probably the most significant force behind the Dynafit movement here in the USA. I you have any questions feel free to contact me!

Thought to add my 2 cents...

Im 190lbs 6'2", and a very hard skier. I was very aprehensive going to the Dynafit system, but have become a true believer. Currently on the new Dynafit tour system, Dynafit TLT 4 pro's, and Tua Hydrogens. A very lightweight system that allows awesome variability. Also might I add that I have now taken many good cliff drops (20+ feet) without incident to any of the gear. rockband.gif

Check out Lou Dawson's website at www.wildsnow.com for some interesting information. Many people who say they are having pre-release problems (or any problems for that matter ie entry/exit/releasing the heel) simply havent taken a good look at the system as it was intended. cry.gif

Lou's site is quite comprehensive as he is probably the most significant force behind the Dynafit movement here in the USA. I you have any questions feel free to contact me!

This is great news! I'm about the same size and am seriously contemplating the Dynafit system ("contemplating" = finding the cash). thumbs_up.gif