Liberty Crack Bivies

nalo

I have read about a few different options for possible bivouac locations on liberty crack. One, a small cave above the eighth pitch, and another larger ledge that is accessible via rapel from I think the 7th pitch. Has anyone spent the night in either of these places, or somewhere else? I know sleeping aloft is not the standard way to climb this route, but it sure sounds like a great way to pass the night to me. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thanks for the great info guys. I am new to cascadeclimbers, and it really seems like a great resource and a great community. That 10th pitch triangle ledge... how big is it? also, I don't really mind the jumar, so how big is the 8th pitch rappel ledge? Does the opportunity exist to back up the 1/4s with some pro exist? I'll probably have 2 in my party, and I want to find somewhere we can actually sleep. Thanks again guys.

If you're thinking about going as high as pitch 10 for a bivy, keep in mind that you're damn near to the top by then, and consider the summit itself for a site. Things get very ledgy as you approach the top, plenty of places to hang out without having to tie in, and your views would really open up. That may not be the exposed experience you're looking for, but it would be a great place for sunset and sunrise. And you're that much closer to water in the morning.

I would stay away from the rotten block (for a bivy). It could be rather windy, uncomfortable, and (one of these days)it's going to peel off the wall. I agree with DonnV: a couple of pitches above the "Triangle Ledge" and you've got all the room in the world to bivi (large sandy ledges with summit views).

I have just looked down on the ledge between the 7-8 pitch. It looks big enough and you might be able to back the bolts up with wide gear. I have to wonder if the 1st ascent team didn't back the bolt up with pitons.

The bolts were backed up by at least one 3/8"er last summer by Clint Cummins. Do a search for it on this site. Here it is.

If those guys wanna bivy on top, they could just haul it up there the easy way one day and cache it, then climb Liberty Crack the next and hang out and bask in their triumph (although it wouldn't be that triumphant because they wouldn't have to carry all their stuff on the climb) cantfocus.gif

Edited by chucK

Yeah, I thought amd read about doing the route by fixing, but thought I'd check out the possibility of bivying aloft. Seems more straight forward to me, even if it's not, and more fun. So my question still stands: can anyone give me some info on the ledge accessible from rapel from the 8th? Thanks

It's only a 20 min walk from the hwy. Once at the road you don't have to sleep tied in. You can eat a normal dinner and you don't have to poop in a bag. Also you don't have to carry the extra stuff needed for a bivi to the base and up the climb.

Why bivi on a wall when you don't have to?

Why bivi on a wall when you don't have to?
Why climb when you don't have to?

What's hard to understand about his original post? He thinks spending a night on the wall would be cool. So do I. So do lots of climbers. Alpine bivies are part of the allure of climbing for some folks. If not for you, fine. But I'm amazed that climbers who hate to bivy refuse to accept that not everyone feels the same way.

Go for it, nalo. You'll never know how you feel about wall bivies until you do one.

It's only a 20 min walk from the hwy.
I think you're slanting the facts a bit to support your case. I would have remembered it to be more like 45 minutes to an hour, and CAG says "2 hours maximum." It's not a long approach, but it's not 20 minutes.

Approach to Lib. Crack is 20 minutes. Unless you are old fat and slow. Bivying on a wall is easy. Hauling up all the shit you need to do so is not.

If you're too slow to climb lib crack in a day (I know a medium-fast party that did it car to car in 7hrs., and one in the party had never aided or jugged before), fix the first three then go down to the pub and return the next. Its WA Pass - alpinelite. Take advantage bro.

Approach to Lib. Crack is 20 minutes. Unless you are old fat and slow.

Well, let's see. Summit of Liberty Bell is 7720. East Face is 1200'. So that would put base of the face at 6520'. Or CAG says base of Thin Red Line right next door is about 6800'. Washington Pass is 5477'. So, let's say very conservatively that the approach is 1000' of elevation gain.

Damn, you're right. I MUST be old and fat and slow to take up to an hour. Nalo, count on no more than 20 minutes for the approach, even carrying gear.

And, by the way, the route goes free at 5.7, and you don't need more than about 6 pieces of pro.

This strategy seems rather contrived. It's not like you have to leave seattle trailing your gear on a bicycle. But if you want to cap off a climb of librty crack with a bivy on the summit, carry the gear up the route. Cacheing gear is fine for a PCT hike. But it seems the Gestalt of The experience would be lost in all the preparation in this instance.