Volunteer oportunites

DPS

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an opperation in Albany?? Here in Or that works with Troubled kids. Sorry I don't know the name.. Or much about it... But it does exisit. It seems like any place would be glad to have a skilled volenteer. Good Luck

sk [big Grin]

You are not a recently retired Catholic Priest are you? [Roll Eyes]

Seriously, I don't know if Capt. Caveman is talking about the same guy, but, you could pm this guy, I know he has been involved in that kind of work previously.

crack

cool thing to do Dan!

A few organizations I would recommend:

1) Pacific Crest Outward Bound School -- see

PCOBS website

2) Catherine Freer Wilderness Therapy -- see

Freer Website

3) NOLS -- see NOLS

There's a lot more than this, but these are probably the three best organizations that I'm familiar with. Send me an email or PM if you want more info or have more specific questions.

Steve

You might try the Washington Trails Association

http://www.wta.org/~wta/

They do some good work with organizing work groups of kids to maintain trails. I know some folks who have worked supervising trail crews in the summer, and some folks at the USFS who work with this group. Lots of positive feedback. Good luck.

Q: How do you get a Nun pregnant?

A: Dress her up like an latar boy!

That joke has been around for 20 years. The newest and latest scandals within the catholic church are nothing new. Hell, Pope Nicholas 1385-13? was well known for having sex with his daughter ( and having her husband killed). Maintream Christian religions are only about brainwashing and control. Once we start to hold the political and spiritual leaders of this country in the contempt they deserve; our quality of lives will start to improve ( talk about some serious thread creep )

Dru,

I am a recovering Catholic. When I was an alter boy (yes, really) one of the priests molested children. The problems and issues that survivors of childhood sexual abuse (or adult sexual abuse for that matter)confront is NOT funny. Trust me on this.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Bronco:

You are not a recently retired Catholic Priest are you?
[Roll Eyes]

Seriously, I don't know if Capt. Caveman is talking about the same guy, but, you could pm this guy, I know he has been involved in that kind of work previously.

cool thing to do Dan!

Yeah, that's the same guy...I know this because I worked with him at an adjudicated youth program in Utah. I know crack also did some kind of work in the outdoor ed vein in Oregon, not sure of the nature of that work though. Obsidian Trails is fairly well established from what I understand. You might also contact NW Youth Corps, they run some stuff that might be what you're looking for.

The Boy Scouts of America are always looking for adult leaders. There are tons of local troops or Venture Crews, 14+ boys that do high adventure (climbing, white water, mtn biking, etc.) The secret is to shop around until you find a good troop. My troop was the main factor that got me climbing.

If you are looking for a summer job, a summer camp usually will have a climbing staff. Search around though, like all organization their are excellent programs and jokes.

The BSA is a great organization. I think now days more than ever, kids need challenging outdoor experences to get them of the whinning, lazy asses.