Ice Climbing In Minnesota TR: Garbage Pillar

carolyn

Earlier this morning I took out the trash...something I should do more often. On my way back in the building I discovered a secret gem!

I immediately called one of my climbing partners and told him to get over to my house with all his gear. We were going to climb some ice this afternoon!

He arrived at my house about an hour later completely geared up (full pack and all), ready to go. Inquisitive, he kept pushing me for information on the climb I found. I explained that it was actually a very short approach and he didnt need his Das Parka today. I suprised him by offering to drive as well. thumbs_up.gif We walked out the front door, loaded up the car and drove around to the back of my building.

There it IS!!!

We unloaded the gear from the car and got ready to go. I spent some time contemplating which route to take....drytooling up the stucco, the hanging curtains, or the attatched pillar (main line).

1044IMG_1504-med.JPG1044IMG_1491-med.JPG

1044IMG_1500-med.JPG

Ice was falling everywhere from the warm sun, as well as being Afraid my neighbors were going to come out telling us how unsafe we were, I decided to make the long trek back inside my apartment to get my rope, helmet, and a few screws.

1044IMG_1505-med.JPG

Unfortunately, I forgot my draws and biners. Good thing I carry a biner on my keychain! That seemed to do the trick!!!! Oh, if you havent noticed, I forgot my harness as well. Didnt seem to think it would be too much of a problem to tie into my beltloop.

1044IMG_1514-med.JPG

I was a little worried after I couldnt get the first screw all the way in, tho I continued on...

1044IMG_1512-med.JPG

I realized how costly this adventure could be. Not so much for my physical being...but financially...as we heard my landlord next door start yelling out the window at us, I politely retreated.

Until another day!

Aaaaah Ice climbing in Minnesota! Its right outside your backdoor! cheeburga_ron.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice formed from snowmelt off the roof. Gutter was buried under the ice. IT was almost a little too soft that day -not bad, tho. I would say Grade 3, 10m, approximately 3-4 feet wide/2-4 inches thick in most spots. It was an honest to goodness genuine climb....literally outside my bedroom window.

Too bad...or maybe its a good thing that Im in the process of moving out!

Uncle Tricky- I need to find someone with a scanner and I will put some of the monkey face pictures up. Promise! I dont want no stinkin' dog chasing after me!!!!

• 2 years later...

Hahaha!

I was talking to Kurt the other day and he said something about seeing pictures of me climbing the side of my building. Well he was right! There I am, climbing the side of a building! Whooda thunk?!?!?! :crazy:

Thanks for draggin' it back from the cyber abyss.

We have been pretty warm out here so far, until the past week. We had a big thunderstorm then a freeze. Things are starting to grow quickly. Drytoolin' and some mixed is wat be in at the moment. Matter of fact, I just got my ass handed to me today! :cry:

Whoever it was that asked about climbing over the holidays. I can steer you to the right buildings - ya know, the one's without the screaming landlords and attack dogs. Fortunately I will be climbing in Colorado during that time.:moondance:

Happy climbing!

-c

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...