New to Portland area - where's the climbing?

juscuz

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to a store and buy "Portland Rock Climbs" by Tim Olson.

Stores:

Powell's Books (you should go here)

REI (if you are THAT sort of person)

Climb Max

Mountain Shop (I think that's what its called)

Portland Rock Gym

US Outdoor Store

etc...

Climbing areas:

Rocky Butte (within city limits, but you might get a disease)

Broughton's Bluff

Carver Cliff

Beacon Rock

Rooster Rock

and, oh yeah, someplace called SMITH ROCK???

i have a couple trips planned to get back to Smith already. think i'll have to take a few trips back home for some climbing. shoots, well it will be a good excuse. bigdrink.gif

i'll go grab that book, i was going to go check out the Portland Rock gym, i know i'm shooting fish in a lake but, has anybody been there?

Yea, the Portland Rock Gym has alot of good stuff but is crowded at times and 50 bucks a month if you sign up for a year. the month to month rate is even more expensive. If your out in beaverton stoneworks has cool people that work there and is cheaper but is not even close to as big. You can check out the PRG for free once if you know a yearly member.

PRG is way crowded and $68 a month not 50, the peeps are cool but the owners are thieves... you should be able to check PRG out for free for the first time.. if not PM me and I'll take you in for free one time.

the climbs around portland have been mentioned.. right now they're all too wet.

by the end of the summer you'll know where everything is at.

• 2 weeks later...
PRG is way crowded and $68 a month not 50, the peeps are cool but the owners are thieves... you should be able to check PRG out for free for the first time.. if not PM me and I'll take you in for free one time.

the climbs around portland have been mentioned.. right now they're all too wet.

by the end of the summer you'll know where everything is at.

The PRG can be way crowded, especially the bouldering area, however the lead routes are often uncrowded, and, depending on what times and days you visit, the gym can be fairly peaceful. Memberships are in fact fifty bucks a month with a one-year commitment (they debit your checking account; nice and easy); if you're a sucker, you get hosed and pay the higher month-by-month rate.

Don't forget French's Dome for excellent summer training terrain (it's in the Portland Rock Climbs book, inexplicably listed in the "adventure climbing" section -- fully bolted and 50 yards from the road, it's anything but). As mentioned previously, it's way too wet to climb outside much of the time, so your best bet is to get fit in the gym, then unleash your fitness on the unsuspecting yellow mud out east.

• 4 months later...