Rodchester

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

It should be fine in a 2wd... it's a pretty easy road. It may have even been graded recently... I know that they just graded the road up to Cathedral/Hyas in the last few weeks and it made a HUGE difference. They may have taken care of the Teanaway too. Even if they didn't, it should be fine in a 2wd... just bumpy.

I was up there 6/12. Pretty much solid snow from the lake all the way up. Definitely needed an ice axe, and we had to chop some steps in the gully where the snow was shaded.

We climbed to the top of the snow in the gully and then directly up the gully. I talking to other people it seemed the correct route is to look at the left side of the gully where it narrows and climb from there to the notch.

I scrambled up the S. Ridge so I wasn't on the snow that gives access to the E. Ridge. However, I don't think you will need an axe or crampons. I got to the snow leading up to the S. Ridge at approximately 11:15 a.m. and I was in approach shoes with two treking poles. The snow was quite soft by that hour (but not so soft that I was postholing) and going up the slopes was quite secure. Coming down things were a little softer and it was no problem at all without an axe or boots, for that matter. I can only assume that the snow up to the E. Ridge is similar. If you head up significantly earlier, it may be a bit firmer.

• 3 months later...

I was in the Icicle today up toward Grindstone (Chatter Creek). The snow doesn't really start until about 4000', so you still have a pretty good shot at driving all the way to the end of Teanaway River Rd - might have to drive through a couple of new inches of snow. But it won't be long until it's closed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Also: does anyone know where the road gets closed at "full winter conditions"? I heard 8 miles from the TH from someone... truth?

Yes, the road is plowed to the branch uphill towards Esmerelda Basin, by the horse camp. This is a very popular snowmobiling area, and thats where all the sleds unload...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...