[TR] Sisters- Pole Creek Trail 2/4/2004

browntoe98

Climb: Sisters-Pole Creek Trail

Date of Climb: 2/4/2004

Trip Report:

We drove over from Portland and got to Sisters in the afternoon. The weather looked great with clear skies coming and no chance of precip until Friday we figured we had three days of good weather. We took FR 15 south from Hwy 242 as far as we could (3 miles) which left us with snowshoes 8 miles from the Pole Creek trail head. We slept in the Vanagon and, after packing, left the next morning around 0930.

For the first six miles or so we had six inches of powder over very old snowmobile tracks. After that we were passed by seven snowmobiles and followed those tracks for the last two miles to the trailhead. Completely exhausted, we pitched tents and crawled in.

Our plan was to leave the tents and sleeping bags and follow the Pole Creek drainage up above the timber line then choose an approach for the North Sister. We would have light packs and would make a speed run up and down then back to the tents before dark.

We left camp at 0800, but as soon as we stepped off the Forest Road, I was dropping in about 8

Gear Notes:

shoulda had a snowmobile

maybe skis would have worked, I don't ski enough to know.

Approach Notes:

FR 15 is plowed for two of the eleven miles to Pole Creek Trail Head. Pole Creek Trail (96) is unmarked and under about 10 feet of snow, I would reccommend using geo features such as creek drainage for landmarks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic