Indoor Climbing Wall

StephenBecker

My college has a small climbing wall in a gym. The athletic director has set it up with static 10mm ropes and claims, that because of insurance, all belayers must be clipped into a ground anchor. I think this sounds very dangerous, because there is nothing dynamic in the system. Even though it is only for top-roping, a small fall with slack in the system will result in a large force. I have never seen a commercial climbing gym require belayers to clip into the ground, nor have I seen static top ropes that often. Anyone else agree with me? Is this system safe?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We require floor anchors here at Cascade Crags. It is for the 10% of the people that can't figure out that someone weighs 50# more than they do. We also use dynamic ropes on the top ropes. Partially to reduce impact but also in case someone grabs a top rope to lead on, there won't be a liability issue or a danger to the climber.

I routinely climb w/ folks that weigh more than 50# of my weight...rarely do i see the need to anchor myself while in the gym... confused.gif

Pay attention, pull in loose slack as the climber peels...then pop into the hit...no one has ever decked on me while i've been belaying...

I routinely climb w/ folks that weigh more than 50# of my weight...rarely do i see the need to anchor myself while in the gym... confused.gif

Pay attention, pull in loose slack as the climber peels...then pop into the hit...no one has ever decked on me while i've been belaying...

I agree with rumr.. I climb with people who are bigger than me and I never clip to the floor inside. outdoors when some one is on lead is a diffrent story and I look for a good anchor for myself... but if there isn't one I know I will be okay because I have practice securing a fall and throwing my own weight arround. with out a bottom anchor it gives a nice dynamic belay.

it doesn't make any sense to me to use a static rope for top roping...the fall would be painful. what a way to turn people off of climbing.

I don't think pure static is a good idea, and clipping into the ground is probably neither here nor there (if you're a gym employee, pick your battles...).

They do make gym specific climbing ropes. Some of these are "semi-static," offering something like 3-5% elongation and a good amount of durability. Of course you can't lead on these, but they are much more durable than a lot of static line out there (from what I remember, many static's wear quickly depending on how it is woven), which'll save your gym money in the long run. They also market "gym specific" lead ropes, but I can't think of any reason these are better than just a normal dynamic lead rope.

I can't think of any brands off hand, but a quick google would probably turn up something you could buy on a spool and cut for your needs.