Slide film speed question

Jedi

We are going to be in a pretty shaded area. Many of the "on route" pictures I have seen of the route look like they are climbing in early morning or late evening. Pretty much in the shade and not in direct sun. What have you guys had good results with?? Probably many cloudy and/or foggy days.I will be shooting slide film. Probably 2 rolls of a slower speed and 2 rolls for direct sunlight (in case we end up climbing elsewhere). Suggestions?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...

I'm just a dub, and I've had a few beers, but here goes.

If I were you, I'd start with Provia 100. That's all I shoot for color. Great saturation. You may want a higher speed, though.

If I were shooting a dark subject amidst a lighter, broad background, and the subject were close, I'd use a flash to fill in.

Since it sounds like you'll be in a dark area, you'll lose much of your depth of field, unless you use a tripod, or have a really steady stance. You'll have to open the aperature to bring in more light, which results in less depth of field. You can push the film a few stops, though, to compensate, but you'll lose saturation, and might as well use a faster film.

You may want to think about a tripod, though. That way, you get a stable platform, which allows you to shoot with a slow film, for the highest detail, at whatever shutter speed you want. Any action, though, will be blurred.

i'd try a roll of old 400 asa kodachrome if you can get it. pretty cool, especially in the shade. or get some of that b&w slide film...can't quite remember the name of it now...you can get it at Glazer's in Seattle by mail or else where. darn, what's that film called...really fun stuff.

I've used Provia in the mountains which isn't too bad. In overcast conditions, or at altitude, use a warming filter to get rid of that blue cast, unless that's what you like.

Also remember that slide film has a latitude of only about 5 stops so if you find yourself in a situation with more than that, you need to expose for the brightest part of the scene rather than the darkest (like you would with black and white or negative color film). You may know this, but what the heck. :-)

I will be taking my point & shoot Yashica T4 Super so I will not be able to push the film. There is Sensia II 100, 200 & 400. Velvia 50, Provia 100 & 400, Provia 100 & 400 & Fujichrome ASTIA Superia (not sure what speeds this comes in) and that is just Fuji. I only trust Fuji & Kodiak.

There are just too many options. Yeah we will not have a tripod on route so it has to be a pretty forgiving speed.

Jedi

Alasdair,

nice website! West Ridge of Hunter looks like a amazing route. I have always wanted to try it. We were in the Ruth at the same time that year. It was pretty dang warm.

When did you guys fly in to climb Foraker?

Edited by Jedi

I will be taking my point & shoot Yashica T4 Super so I will not be able to push the film.

There is a trick for pushing film in auto cameras... You can get stickers that go on the film to trick the camera into thinking it is a different ASA than it really is, and then get the lab to push it. thumbs_up.gif I can't remember where I last saw them, but I know they exist.

I just talked to a friend of mine in Manhatten. She knows a lab that will push the film if I think I need to do so with a roll. I just need to label the roll I think needs it. I don't the local Walmart can help[ me out (small town living for ya).

That's a great idea about the labels.

Nice pictures Forest

Edited by Jedi