"Mommy, that man ruined my line..."

jlag

I can't even believe I have to listen to this horseshit. I see just as many skiers sideslipping the steeps as snowboarders. I think it's exteremely shallow and closed-minded to assume all snowboarders are 10-16 years olds running down little kids. Both accidents on Bachelor last year we're from skiers hitting people. But I don't rip on 14-year old skiers. I jump turn just fine and don't need to sideslip anything unless it's really icy. You have every right to protect your child from idiot speed demons on the mountain. It happens at resorts regardless of what people are riding on. Good snowboarders should give bad snowboarders a bad time? I give any out-of-control skier/snowboarder a bad time. Grow up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see just as many skiers sideslipping the steeps as snowboarders.

Both accidents on Bachelor last year we're from skiers hitting people. But I don't rip on 14-year old skiers.

BS on the skiers. It's extremely tiring for a skier to sideslip - I've yet to see a skiier sideslip for more than a dozen feet or so.

Both fatal accidents at Meadows have been snow boarders this year.

now this is getting good boxing_smiley.gif

My favorite are the boarders who come into the lift lines way too fast to try to keep speed to get to the back of the line, and take out a few poles in the process. BAM! and down he goes yellaf.gif

You know what I love?

assfaces who stand right in the frickin way of the line waiting for god know who; and people have to go around them... I'm a skier, and I took this guy(skier) out who though he was cool, yeah he thought he was cool until i skied by and shouldered him into his other budies, and they all went down in a big pathetic pile of rotten after-birth... And the snow boarder that was sitting in everybodies way last sunday didn't think it was so cool that I skied by and hit a home run with my pole on the back of his helmet... I get some big smiles and thumbs up from the lift operators when I pick fights with dicknoses in the lift lines at the local hill...

It don't matter if ya ski or board, if ya iz coo then ya iz coo man, ya know what I sayin?

I was skiing down some blue-square groomer run (greenback)with my kids (6 and 8) the other day at Crystal and this guy on a board is sideslipping straightdown the whole way. He wasn't churning up the powder or anything evil like that, but I just couldn't resist telling him, "Hey, that looks like fun!" as my munchkins zipped on down. He wasn't amused yellaf.gif.

and what is their obsession with creek beds? I always see a snowboard track going down a low-angle creek bed with all kinds of warning wands in it, only to see the track change over to a boot track wallowing out of the drainage yellaf.gif ahhh I love this stuff.

Dood, that's, like, terrain 'n shit.

I watched some snowboarders sideslip an entire blue run at Alpental while I was belaying at Stellar Falls.

A good "all-mountain" boarder is a beauty thing to watch! And just as rare as decent skiers are too, imo.

I think it's ski areas that suck punkass! Two days a week, for two or three months out of the year, they've got a serious over-crowding problem and they seem to think the only way to solve this "problem" is for everybody else to give up terrain...

the_finger.gif Screw the ski areas! the_finger.gif

ski areas do suck, but the reality is, unless you are bc skiing every day, you won't be as solid a skier if you just do b.c. every weekend or so. You just cannot get the skiing "density" the lifts give you. I guess you could liken it to sport climbing.

GOod call on the sport skiing... of course Just like a good sport crag(ski resort), there are all kinds of oppertunity. For instance, You got bolted lines from 5.6 to 5.10(groomed runs from green to single black), then you got bolted 11's on up(ungroomed double blacks), also there is a few cracks and other unbolted routs or trad(your out-of-bounds trees runs), but you also have your easy to hard boulder problems where you through down moves that maybe you wouldn't through down on other longer harder routs(the terain park), But lets not forget the oppertunity to slap a dyno in there(just like droppin cliffs and runnin narrow shoots). So all in all goin to a good all aroung ski hill is like goin to a good around crag... there is nothing wrong with it... tongue.gif

Yes, I agree, but do you my friend go out and climb in back woods areas on seldumly seen, dirty, unrated trad routs every time you climb?

Do you prefer to climb trad routs when you are at an astablished crag?

Do you BC ski every time and ski off cliffs, jump stumps with a split grab, and grind icey fallen trees?

If you ski at an astablished ski hill do you prefer to ski in the trees and just out side the bounderies?

very flat"WEEeeeEE saty up lAAaaAAaate..." moon.gif

When I lived in Utah during the 80's it was illegal to leave the resort boundries and return to ride the lift again. Once you passed the gate, you were NOT to return. To do so carried serious consequences: loss of season pass, possible arrest and prosecution.

We are blessed here in Washington to be able to do this. That is what I love about Alpenthal and Crystal. There is awesome "bc" skiing utilizing lifts. You can go to "5.11" terrain and do it over and over again. Going back to the original post about boarders scraping snow, I was refering more to the shots beyond the gate that friday at Alpenthal. Still however, I don't like what they do to upper international, adeneline and lots of other steep places. Do I think they should not go there....absolutely not. The only way they will learn to ride stuff like that is to do it. So basically resorts serve a great function to allow boarders and skiiers alike to develope skills they can take into the back country. I guess my complaint was more directed to the BC. When out there, ski/ride the terrain you can handle and do without ruining it for others who can. I certainly can't complain about a boarder who beats me to a chute and rides it in style. Chances are I will enjoy it too, even if I'm the 2nd, 3rd or even 10th one down it. I was complaining about the boarder who finds a chute and sideslips the whole thing.

One of the things I like about skiing is looking at a sweet set of tracks in powder, a boarders or a skiiers, even my own. Aliken it to climbing in great style. Or looking at a really nice sailboat you've been sailing as you row back to the dock. It's part of the game. Likewise I enjoy watching a really good skiier or boarder rip something. It's why we like Warren Miller films. It feeds the inner fire that you too can reach that level. Resorts promote self improvement through observation and (frequent) repetitive action. They are good for their own reasons. Here in Washington, newbies can even "taste" the backcountry. What's wrong with that?