Skins

Cando

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use the bd clipfix on my public enemies. i like 'em. and i haven't found anything i don't like about 'em yet.

They seem to stay on twintips better than regular tips. On my Crossbows, until I installed the rat-tail ala wildsnow, the stupid clips would unclip all the time. Irritating.

I've not heard anything good about Low-Fats.

I have used both clipfix and sts glidelite tails for a bit and I would go for the newer glidelite sts attachments now. As your skins get wet over the course of a tour, they stretch a bit, making the clipfix hard to keep tight. The STS attachment flexes a bit, so it stays secure. The glidelite skins fold up into a smaller package too. Either will do just fine though, and I think Ascension still has the best skins out there.

I've got both Ascension ClipFix and G3's. They both do the job, but I prefer the G3 system. With the ClipFix you need to have the length of the skin just right, or when it gets really cold, they shrink and you can't cam the clip over the tail of the ski. Conversely, when its warm, its easy for the clip to come undone as the skins stretch.

If you plan to use one set of skins with two (or more) pairs of similar length skis, I'd go with the G3 (or the BD GlideLite) system. Easier to adjust for small changes in length without having to muck around with the fold over at the tip.

I had Clipfix and I think you'd do just as well to not put anything on the tail, maybe even better since a little metal clip wouldn't be pulling the skin off when it fails.

I have the G3's right now, and I must say I think they kick ass. The adjustment system is more versatile, and can adjust for expansion and contraction of the skins.

Is there a reason you can't get G3's, goddess?

Methinks yes.

Because the glue sucked the first year, everyone returned them, G3 had didn't have enough to replace them?

The only thing that sucks about the BD Glidelite's is they only come with a dinky velcro strap, and not a skin bag.

I've used 85mm Ascension skins w/o the clip fix for 3 years and think they are fine w/o any clip fix mechanism. what is the use of the clip fix anyway? The only time my skins ever have fallen off was after 100 days of touring and hip deep cascade sludge in early november. go simple. If they're falling off, reglue or rebuy new ones, the clip fix alone won't save the life of skins with no adhesive. In addition these skins do not flap uncontrollably in windy conditions or slide backward in steep spring conditions. Mountaingear.com had these on sale last catalogue I saw. I have heard no complaints about the new G3 however, if you can get a good deal on them go for it. I have witnessed firsthand a user of the BCA sliding backward on moderately steep skin tracks. I don't know how old these were though.

I've got the ascension clipfix and it can be a pain to adjust them to different skis especially if you're doing it at the hill in 10 degree blowing snow as experienced over new years. But they are good and i havn't had any problems with them staying fastened to my sumos(non twin-tip). But my pocket rockets, didn't like them as much since they have an edge that is dragged across the metal fix. I had G3's at first but the glue was awful, returned them for ascension. Then my ascension went bad and the glue was ripping off, and now I'm on a good pair. My ex girlfriend has the glidelight, and they work pretty well, the glue is too sticky though and hard to pull apart. At least on hers which are on their second season. I know that the manufacturors are constantly changing the glue process to make it the best, so bare with it.