What does climbing do for you?

fenderfour

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, pure ego. Pure ego stroking. The "I'm tougher than you, meaner than you, stronger than you, smarter than you, luckier than you, quicker than you--because I climb harder than you" attitude. All those things that separate the men from the boys, the elite from the riffraff.

Not that everyone chestbeats about it as readily as some do but I have to laugh when I hear someone claim some lofty goal when deep inside is the little ego man struggling to assert his superiority by defining his image as a climber.

But yeah, I like the simple pleasures of cold water, warm food and drink, and freedom to sleep under the stars by a mountain lake.

Some people like to drive around in traffic with their radio on low. Others like to get in the fast lane and pass everyone with the music blasting.

Climbing helps me turn up the volume on life. Otherwise I might fall asleep.

For me, it's not about fear, it's about stimulation. It's about the clarity of mind and sharpness of my senses when I do something that actually requires some attention and makes me turn off the auto pilot--- the auto pilot that numbs my mind and makes yesterday roll into today. It's about breaking the spell and opening my eyes to the present-- the right now!!

Some people live their whole lives without ever waking up.

I climb because I don't give a shit about anyone else but me and who ever my partner is at the moment. Other than that its all about me and making myself happy and wise. Huh, maybe that is why I can't keep a lady or stay married.
yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif I KNOW WHO YOU ARE