OK, how about this, IF you could make one change..

OldMan

...what would you change about a "mistake" you made the 1st year of your climbing career. Hey, it can be anything from purchase mistakes to a trip destination poorly picked.

Me, I think I'd have to say it would be not climbing outdoors. But, there just isn't alot of climbing available in my part of the country. Oh well, I should have moved then, instead!!

The OldMan!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would have sarted leading that first year instead of waiting. The more I know about climbing and how things work the more I am able to talk my self out of a lead. If I would have led sport that first year I think I would have been to stupid to care.... here is to over comming my head game bigdrink.gif

No changes, I made the mistake of buying a pair of Chouinard Canyons but I took em back to the guy at Swallows Nest and traded em for a pair of them Feerays. Thats was the best decision I ever made...next to buying all those stoppers..I do NOT regret lacing up the Great Northern...much safer with 15 pieces below ya.

I recon I was lucky, I dont look at my first year of climbing errors as mistakes, but merely "opportunities". yellaf.gif

I wish I'd taken at least ONE clean leader fall before taking one that really messed up my body.

I never got a chance to really leave the ground, and it's been a long-ass time of trying and failing at something I really enjoy, with more failures than successes. I hope some day to find a way to climb that brings more more enjoyment than trepidation and fear.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have had my axe out during that descent from the false summit of stuart on wet, slick snow (in tennis shoes tongue.gif) several years ago. Nothing like a bunch of spring snow scrapes and a "self arrest" my slamming into some rocks a hundred feet below (feet first thankfully)