Descent via Gib Ledges

catbirdseat

I've always thought it was generally considered safer after climbing Gib Ledges to descend either the DC or Ingraham Direct. If taking the Ingraham, you can then take Cadaver Gap for a fairly direct descent to Muir.

I've heard several people say they just go back via the Ledges. Why would you do this? Later in the day, Gibraltar Rock can drop lots of rocks on your head, for one thing, and going down the ledges exit gully can be dangerous too.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason you'd go down that way is largely the same as the reason you might find it easiest to go up that way: it is the most direct route, and pretty mujch all the steep ground is on south facing slopes that will genearlly be more firm than N or NE facing ones. I've descended that way once, and yes - there were stones falling. I didn't want to stand still, but it wasn't really that big of a deal. On another occasion, when we feared stonefall, we simply continued down that "exit gully" and it seems to me that were down on nearly flat terrain within about 15 or 20 miniutes of leaving the top of Gibralter Rock.

I finally got out on my new AT setup today. I'm definitely sold on Randonee`, which is making me a lot more curious about places like Gib Chute. It would no doubt make a nice ski descent in the right conditions. I would have to be a little concerned about avy danger, however, since the slope angle definitely includes the 38 degree maximum risk inclination, and if you skied it after climbing Gib Ledges, by definition you would not have had a chance to check out the snow on it first. I would not want to go for it in winter except after a few sunny days I may be a lot more cowardly than the average freshiez fanatic on this page, however.) Don't forget icefall risk from Nisqually Ice Cliff.

I sent MG a few emails about snowboards and Rainier last year. He urged me to take up boarding, saying there are places on Rainier he can enjoy boarding (like Gib Chute) that he would not want to ski. I'm still on skis because I already know how to ski, but I still have to learn how to board.