Portland Pub Club May 9th

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:

With those profits I can buy one Camalot or 2 bottles of tequilla a month...gee; I'd own a much bigger rack If I'd just stop drinking.

TG ...your to much. See ya there on Thursday (and yes I shall remember your book this time)... got to go... heading for Kalispell ....

PRODUCE ROW it is! Thursday MAY 9 - say 7:00 until

The Produce Row Cafe

204 S. E. Oak, Portland, Oregon

Tel: (503) 232-8355

Beer:

29 taps; offerings include beers from most area craft breweries, as well as a couple of imports. 200 bottled beers.

Food:

This is the original home of McMenamins-style pub grub, mostly sandwiches with chips, and some snacks. Popular items include the House Special (a sort of steak sandwich) and the Stormin' Norman. For folks on a budget, a large sandwich will easily feed two.

Atmosphere:

For over 20 years, the Produce Row has provided funky, simple premises for lovers of a variety of good beer. The place is divided into three rooms: the main front room and bar, a smaller side room, and a back room with a pool table. There's also a fine deck out back with plenty of picnic-table seating, simply wonderful on fine spring and summer days. The Produce Row's interior is humble and unpretentious, and that's just fine, because here, the beer's what matters here. Clientele is just about anyone who likes good beer, from college folks to middle- aged folks from the east-side neighbourhoods. The cabinets on the side of the main entry room have a vintage collection of beer bottles and cans, some of which have been in there for nearly twenty years. That's the Row for you - good beer, a fine place to have it, and historical continuity. May it live on forever.

Speaking of historical continuity, one of the original owners of the Produce Row went on to co-found the McMenamins empire. In a sense, the Produce Row is the cornerstone of the entire McMenamins pub group, even if the McMenamins no longer own or run the place.

Smoking Policy:

Allowed

Umm I hate to tell you guys this but Men who ride hogs Don't drink goat piss, or horse piss. They drink whisky [Wink] Often single malt scotch, But never shit beer. They take too much pride in their drinking [big Grin]

[ 05-09-2002, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: sk ]

Preachin to the choir honey...I'm the proud owner of a '63 Harley panhead, brown metallic, filled seams, teardrop tank, suicide-shifter. Actually go this as a college graduation present from my uncle, who's birthday I share. Got pics of me as a 5 year old on the back of that bike. Also got pics of me, my dad, and uncle rebuilding the engine in 1978 with cans of PBR everywhere.

[ 05-09-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: willstrickland ]

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

Preachin to the choir honey...I'm the proud owner of a '63 Harley panhead, brown metallic, filled seams, teardrop tank, suicide-shifter. Actually go this as a college graduation present from my uncle, who's birthday I share. Got pics of me as a 5 year old on the back of that bike. Also got pics of me, my dad, and uncle rebuilding the engine in 1978 with cans of PBR everywhere.

Difrent clubs ride different. My six your old has a shovel head with his name on the plates, 3yr old has a black hog, can't remember what it is... I am being passed over. Will purchase own when I can no longer climb. Both uncles and daddy ride. Nothin' like the open road [big Grin] BTW excelent grad present [big Grin]

Around these parts Will, its Rainier Verde or Rainier Rouge that is the industrial beer of choice. Next in line is Hamms, closely followed by PBR. Not that you can tell the difference at that point.

Although I don't have a harley, nor do I ride a "hog" (squeal like a pig boy), I've downed many a pint of Hamms with fellows who do. Ride hogs that is. I seem to recall they weren't terribly particular about their beer. Cannabis was a whole 'nother story.

My favorite quote from Hunter S. Thompson's "Hells Angels" was when he asked one of the Angels why they let homosexuals hang out with them at biker bars. The Angel is quoted as saying "Look, I don't care who sucks my dick, as long as it gets sucked."

Somehow life just seems simpler on that side of the fence.

Man, we've had some looong threads on beer.

My faves:

Porter: Lucky Lab's Stumptown, Sam Smith's Taddy

Scotch Ale: Pike Kilt Lifter

Stout: Sam Smith's Oatmeal, Rogue Shakespear

Barley Wine: TG's private stash...best damn barley wine I've had and I'm a BW fan

IPA: not a big fan, but Term Gravity hits the spot

Pub syle ale: Boddingtons

ESB: Bridgeport, Fuller's

Brown: Old Peculiar

American pisswater mass produced swill: PBR

[ 05-09-2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: willstrickland ]

quote:

Originally posted by Son of Caveman:

TO THE RESCUE

( this was a pic. of the bud wagon with clydes but it stretched the board so I edited it).

man did I catch shit for mentioning Bud.

Shitheads
[big Grin]

Must of been your lucky day son of c!

I mentioned drinking a bud earlier in the post...

Didnt seem to get a rise out of anyone! [Wazzup]

ALthough, I like a variety of cool beverages,

I stand by my bud any day! [Wink]

cheers! [big Drink]

iain-

Macalester, eh?

The cabooze?!?!?!? [hell no]

worked there for the first few months after I moved out here...

Been at First Ave since then (7? [Confused] 8? yrs later).

Seems like Minnesotan's tend to migrate to portland and vice versa.

Ya gots to admit...we have some pretty nice ice out here, tho [smile]

quote:

Umm I hate to tell you guys this but Men who ride hogs Don't drink goat piss, or horse piss. They drink whisky Often single malt scotch, But never shit beer. They take too much pride in their drinking

I hate to tell ya but your wrong about the piss beer... right about the whisky though... I usta live down the street from a Free souls hang out, and they would have kegs of the ceepest beer they could get their hands on... and if your thinkin' of calling me a liar agin its off of olgal street, just off hyw. 99 down by the R.R. tracks... [Razz]