Alpenthal on Friday

David_Parker

I've noticed a steady deterioration in the quality of moguls since boarders came on the scene

Moguls are created by inferior skiers who cannot handle the steepness of the slope they are "skiing" and are forced to make "jump turns" while "skiing" downhill cry.gif. IMHO this is even more egregious than a snowboarder sideslipping the same slope.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moguls are created by inferior skiers who cannot handle the steepness of the slope they are "skiing" and are forced to make "jump turns" while "skiing" downhill cry.gif. IMHO this is even more egregious than a snowboarder sideslipping the same slope.
Is this a troll? moguls are formed by some of the best skiers out there at times. Some people seek them out. There are mogul fields made by good and bad skiers. Jump turns??? Who needs to jump turn on an in-area black?

I've noticed a steady deterioration in the quality of moguls since boarders came on the scene

Moguls are created by inferior skiers who cannot handle the steepness of the slope they are "skiing" and are forced to make "jump turns" while "skiing" downhill :

Are you stupid? Jump turns are LESS likely to create moguls. Moguls are created on abut every slope - it's what happens when snow is displaced by turning.

Hey, moguls suck. Get over it. The only thing they are good for is watching cool guy skiers beat themselves up trying to haul ass down a field of the no-good things. Whether the guy wipes out or not doesn't matter cause everyone knows he is gonna have to take an ice bath that night and call in to work sick the next several days.

I don't see anyone here saying moguls are cool or otherwise. Whether they suck or not doesn't really matter since anyone will make moguls skiing or boarding something a lot. If I were taking the anti-snowboard tack I'd add that snowboarding makes moguls much more a pain in the ass since they turn at different points than skiers. I don't really see what your point is. That moguls suck? I guess I don't like them either.

That's pretty funny, 'watching cool guy skiers...'

Moguls are a condition the BC lacks, which actually provides a reason to go to the resort.

When I was in high school, moguls were my favorite thing to ski. I sought them out. I've never needed an ice bath.

Nothing could be better for forcing you to learn balance and react quickly on your skis. I still like moguls when they are covered with soft fresh. International at Alpental half way through the day after a wet, heavy one foot dump is almost as fun as any other skiing experience.

I don't see anyone here saying moguls are cool or otherwise. Whether they suck or not doesn't really matter since anyone will make moguls skiing or boarding something a lot. If I were taking the anti-snowboard tack I'd add that snowboarding makes moguls much more a pain in the ass since they turn at different points than skiers. I don't really see what your point is. That moguls suck? I guess I don't like them either.

Iain, sorry. The little bit of irish I have in me begins to come out when skiers start badmouthing boarders. For the most part I've become desensitized to to it. I have been on a board since 1987 so you can be sure I've heard a lot of skiers' supremacy chest beatings.

Boarders don't suck, lame (and you could add dangerous, etc. to the list of adjectives) boarders do. Same on the skiing side (heck, before boarding, it was over-amped teenage male *skiers* who tried to land on the head of the weakest person on the slop). But a board is a far more efficient snowplow for the sideslip manouver in powder. No question there.

I've skied with boarders who love moguls (granted, they were talented boarders), and I've skied with skiers who hate them (usually not so talented). But what are you gonna do - they form from repeated turns, which is what happens at a ski area!

Moguls are a condition the BC lacks, which actually provides a reason to go to the resort.

Nothing could be better for forcing you to learn balance and react quickly on your skis.

Moguls fuckin suck dood... I can rip through them, but they fuckin are so very suck!!!

skiing some tight tree make you johny on the spot with agillity and reaction... you take a header into a mogul and your a little sore, you take a header into a tree and yerr fucked up man!

• 6 months later...

Hey Jennie:

In my experience, during the average winter in Colorado the good snow in Colorado comes in late November/early December and in late March/early April. There'll be a storm or two in between these times, but it's anyone's guess as to how long it'll last and how much it'll dump. If you are looking for good early season stuff, Wolf Creek usually gets hosed in a big way in late October/early November.

But you probably already know all of this. If you are in Breck you should definitely check out the South Couloir on Quandary and the runs on the mountain on the south side of the ravine across the valley from Quandary in spring when the avy conditions chill out, and/or the East Ridge of Quandary during winter conditions.

You normally wouldn't want to follow me when I'm ridin. This year you really won't want to follow me unless your addicted to huffin' 2stroke smoke.

If this winter turns as I'm feelin' it having a sled is going to be the best decision I've made in a long, long time. I'm thinkin' plenty of dumps with LOTS of blue bird between systems. Perfect for extended bc exploration on a sled....so suck for resort folks.

Word. I guess we'll have to start a betting pool for that. My prediction is that the Muir Snowfield will be in good shape by the last week in October if present trends continue.

You should still hit those lines on Quandary, especially the South Couloir if you are still there in late May/early June though. That might very well be the only continuously steep run with over 1500 feet of vert in all of Summit County!